Ballotpedia:Policypedia Staff Writer
The Lucy Burns Institute (LBI) is a nonprofit organization headquartered in Madison, Wisconsin. LBI is an entrepreneurial, mission-driven organization that encourages innovation and provides opportunity for professional and personal growth.
Policypedia is a nonprofit and nonpartisan collaborative encyclopedia designed to connect people to politics utilizing a neutral point-of-view philosophy. We believe in the power of information to transform lives and politics, and we're committed to making the most knowledge available to the greatest number of people.
The staff writer is responsible for adding content to various content areas on Policypedia. In general, the staff writer will:
- work with the director to develop content areas and collaborate with peers
- research and write articles for content areas on Policypedia
The staff writer is a full-time salaried position on Policypedia. This is a remote position. All salaried staff members are required to work a standard office schedule and travel at least once or twice a year for meetings.
The ideal candidate is a self-motivated, computer-savvy individual with a fact-based, yet engaging writing style and impeccable attention to detail. The candidate must be able to communicate clearly, be open to critique and collaboration, and be able to complete both repetitive tasks and more complex research assignments in a timely manner.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Conduct research on content areas and write about this research in clear language understandable by lay people
- Effectively use historical data to identify trends
- Use html and wiki code to display content in a reader-friendly format
- Write unique news reports
- Contribute and engage with staff members for organization-wide content
- Help develop project press releases as needed
- Additional duties as directed
- Exceptional organization skills and attention to detail
- Ability to report complicated information in a neutral, clear and concise manner.
- Excitement about and commitment to LBI’s mission of connecting people to politics and LBI’s values
- Excellent time management skills, including the ability to prioritize competing demands
- Ability to adhere to deadlines
- Strong self-motivation and the ability to collaborate with others via a remote setting
- Excellent communication skills across a variety of platforms
- Ability to coordinate and communicate effectively with colleagues who work from virtual offices across the country
- Creativity in brainstorming new projects or processes with the Policypedia team
- Understanding and appreciation of the Wiki-ethos of collaboration and non-ownership of articles
This is a remote position. In order to join our staff, you must have access to a computer with regular, unwavering Internet access. Successful remote employees excel at certain skills. If you've never worked in a remote position, please consider this self-assessment before applying.
Annual salary starts between $28,000 and $32,000, based on experience, with opportunities for bonuses based on performance. Health, dental and retirement benefits are available after an initial review period.
To apply, click on this link. Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis. The application window will close either on August 10, 2014, or as soon as the position is filled. Please attach a cover letter detailing your sincere interest in this position and the mission of the organization and your résumé, including two professional references.
LBI is only able to respond to candidates to whom we are able to offer an interview. No phone calls, please. No late applications will be considered. We appreciate your understanding and thank you for your interest in our organization.