Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Louisiana House of Representatives District 25|
|Bachelor's||University of Arkansas|
|Master's||Ohio State University|
|Service/branch||United States Marine Corps|
Byrd served in the United States Marine Corps for nearly 30 years. He retired in October 2006 with the rank of colonel. Byrd served as Professor of Military Strategy and Strategic Logistics at the National Defense University, Industrial College of the Armed Forces.
Byrd received a Bachelor of Science degree in Agriculture Economics from the University of Arkansas and a Master of Arts in Public Policy and Management from The Ohio State University.
Byrd is running in the 2011 election for Louisiana House of Representatives District 25. He faces Lance Harris (R) in the primary election on October 22, 2011. Because Louisiana uses a blanket primary system, a candidate can be declared the overall winner of the seat by garnering 50 percent +1 of the vote in the primary. However, if no candidate reaches this threshold, then a general election will take place on November 19, 2011.
Byrd identifies five issues on his campaign website. Here are excerpts:
- Reduce spending, lower taxes: "Barett believes that government must live within its means, just like the rest of us. We all use “kitchen table economics” to support our families and invest for their future. Government should be no different."
- Create jobs by promoting small business and education: Government does not create jobs...however, government CAN foster an environment for meaningful job creation through the reduction or elimination of corporate taxes to free up capital for business development and capital reinvestment. Government can also help to establish viable workforce development and education programs that create the skilled workers necessary to support industry."
- Uphold our pro-life, pro-family values: "Barett supports and will uphold the Christian principles of personal responsibility, ethical conduct, and the protection of our most vulnerable citizens—unborn children and the elderly." "Barett believes in the principles of equal opportunity for equal effort. He supports back-to-work programs to break the cycle of poverty and to remove the shackles of government assistance for those who are able-bodied."
- Put principle over politics: "Barett strongly believes that our state and nation went morally and spiritually bankrupt long before we did so financially. We need to govern with principles and rid government of the ugly, partisan politics that are ripping at the fabric of our nation."
- Support our troops and honor our veterans: "Barett supports making Louisiana a veteran friendly state to encourage separating and retiring military personnel to choose Louisiana for their homes. Our servicemen and women leaving active duty are a tremendous source of dedicated, experienced, trained, and educated workers and future educators."
Byrd has a wife, Michele, and four children.
- Official campaign website
- Project Vote Smart biographical profile
- Barett Byrd on Facebook
- Barett Byrd on Twitter
State of Louisiana
Baton Rouge (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | State Treasurer | Superintendent of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture and Forestry | Secretary of Natural Resources | Executive Director of the Workforce Commission | Chairman of Public Service Commission |