Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|New York State Assembly District 45|
|Place of birth||Russia|
On his campaign website, Akselrod listed eight main issues:
- Public Safety: "Government's first priority is to ensure the safety and security of its citizens. I believe government must protect our communities from criminals and respond to threats and acts of terrorism. Law enforcements officials must be provided with the tools necessary to do their jobs safely and efficiently."
- Jobs and the Economy: "job creation is my number one priority. Our economy will not grow unless the government creates jobs. I know that the backbone of our economy is the small businesses and I will work to increase public-private partnerships to help small businesses grow and create new jobs in our community. I will fight to cut government red-tape that impedes job-growth and will fight to pass tax cuts for small business that are looking to expand."
- Education: "As Assemblyman, I will work to reduce school overcrowding and fund after-school activities. As a father of five children, I am well aware of the economic burden paying for school. I will champion the fight to provide more educational funding for families of lower incomes. Additionally, I will make private school education more affordable by allowing lower income families vouchers and tuition tax credits."
- Taxes: "As Assemblyman, I will be a powerful voice for middle-class taxpayers and will work to reduce our tax burden. I will fight to reduce government waste and bureaucracy, which in turn will reduce taxes."
- Government Reform: "As Assemblyman, I will fight for more accountability, full disclosure, comprehensive campaign finance reform, increased penalties for public corruption, and the stripping of public pensions for elected officials who are convicted of wrongdoing."
- Environment: "As State Assemblyman, I champion the fight to protect our environment, working to protect our parts and open spaces for future generations."
- Health: "I will work to improve access to healthcare for all citizens. I will fight against unnecessary cuts to vital healthcare programs and work to decrease healthcare cost and improve its quality."
- Transportation: "I will fight to assure that residents of South Brooklyn will be provided with efficient public transportation and safe roads. I will fight against tolls on East River Bridges and will work to return existing toll roads and bridges to reasonable rates."
- See also: New York State Assembly elections, 2012
Akselrod ran in the 2012 election for New York State Assembly District 45. He was defeated by incumbent Steven Cymbrowitz in the Democratic primary on September 13, 2012, but won in the Independence Party of New York State primary. He was defeated by Cymbrowitz in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|New York State Assembly, District 45, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Steven Cymbrowitz Incumbent||55.1%||11,859|
|Republican||Russell C. Gallo||25.6%||5,517|
|New York State Assembly, District 45 Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Steven Cymbrowitz Incumbent||54.1%||1,922|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Ben + Akselrod + New + York + Assembly"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
State of New York
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Commissioner of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environmental Conservation | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
State of New York Court of Appeals | Supreme Court, Appellate Division | Supreme Courts (Trial Courts) | County Courts | Family Courts | Surrogates' Courts | Court of Claims | District Courts | New York City Civil Court | New York City Criminal Courts | New York City Courts | Problem Solving Courts | Town and Village Courts | Judicial selection in New York |