|Utah State Senate District 2|
|2010 - November 13, 2012|
|Per diem||$96/day (lodging) |
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|First elected||December 2009|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||University of Utah|
|J.D.||Columbia Law School|
In June 2011, Governing Magazine named McAdams one of 12 "Democratic Legislators to Watch." Each of the legislators was selected on the basis of qualities such as leadership, ambition, and political potential.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, McAdams was appointed to the following committees:
- Administrative Rules Review Committee, Utah State Legislature
- Ethics Committee, Utah State Senate
- Executive Appropriations
- Judiciary, Law Enforcement, and Criminal Justice Committee, Utah State Senate
- Legislative Management Committee, Utah State Legislature
- Redistricting Committee, Utah State Legislature
- Revenue and Taxation Committee, Utah State Senate
- Subcommittee on Executive Offices and Criminal Justice Appropriations
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, McAdams served on the following committees:
- Appropriations - Executive Offices and Criminal Justice
- Judiciary, Law Enforcement, and Criminal Justice Committee, Utah Senate
- Government Operations and Political Subdivisions Committee, Utah Senate
McAdams won election to the position of Mayor of Salt Lake County in 2012.
- See also: Utah State Senate elections, 2010
McAdams was re-elected to the 2nd District Seat in 2010. Nancie Lee Davis was running for the seat on the Republican ticket, but was disqualified because of failure to file a financial disclosure. Republican Melvin Nimer replaced Davis on the Republican ticket, and was defeated by McAdams. The general election took place on November 2, 2010.
|Utah State Senate, District 2, General Election 2010|
|Ben McAdams (D)||13,663|
|Melvin Nimer (R)||4,863|
In 2010, McAdams received $93,199 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Utah State Senate 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Ben McAdams's campaign in 2010|
|Utah State Senate Democrats||$7,000|
|McCoy For Senate||$2,547|
|Total Raised in 2010||$93,199|
The Sutherland Institute Scorecard
The Sutherland Institute, "a conservative public policy think tank" in Utah, releases its Scorecard for Utah State Representatives and Senators once a year. The Score Card gives each legislator a score based on how they voted in the prior legislative term on specific issues which the Sutherland Institute thought were pro-conservative policies.
Ben McAdams received a score of 33% in the 2012 score card.
- Ben McAdams for State Senate
- Official Utah State Senate website
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Ben McAdams on Facebook
- Ben McAdams on Twitter
- Ben McAdams on LinkedIn
- Salt Lake Tribune, "Democrats tap McAdams for seat in Legislature," December 19, 2009
- Salt Lake Tribune, "McAdams resigns from Legislature; crowded field vying for spot," November 13, 2012
- Governing, "GOP Legislators to Watch," May 24, 2011
- Salt Lake tribune "State Sen. McAdams to run for S.L. County mayor," November 14, 2011
- List of 2010 Candidates for Utah State Senate
- Official Utah State Senate General Election Results, 2010
- Follow the Money - 2010 contributions
- The Sutherland Institute, "2012 Legislative Session"
- 2012 Sutherland Institute Legislative Socrecard
|Utah State Senate District 2
2010-November 13, 2012
| Succeeded by|