Berkeley Pools bond proposition, Measure N (November 2012)
Measure N would have authorized the city to borrow $19.4 million to make a variety of improvements to Berkeley's pools.
The specific improvements would have included:
- A new Warm Water Pool
- A new pool at Willard Middle School
- Renovation or replacement of the lockers at the pool at King Middle School.
The bond would have been repaid over a period of 30 years. A home with an assessed value of $330,500 would pay about $25/year.
The fate of the bond proposition was tied to the fate of a different measure on the same November 6, 2012 ballot: the Berkeley Pools parcel tax question. If one won, and the other lost, they are both moot.
A 2/3rds supermajority vote was required for approval. (In California, a 55% supermajority vote is required to approve school bond measures, but a 2/3rds supermajority vote is required to approve city bonds.)
- Final certified results from the Alameda County elections office.
- Rob Collier, Ed Gold and Maggie Knutson are the co-chairs of the "Berkeley Pools Campaign," which was the main campaign committee advocating for the measure.
- Amelie Melde Fontenay is a parent of a Willard School student. She said, "My only son got here just in time to see the pool filled in with dirt. I don’t think it’s fair that the other two (middle) schools have pools and Willard doesn’t."
- Caroline Hall, a fifth grader at Malcolm X, said, "I love Willard Pool. I believe next year when I go here, there should be a pool so we can have fun. What’s a rectangle with dirt in it good for?"
The question on the ballot:
|MEASURE N: "Shall the City of Berkeley issue general obligation bonds not exceeding $19,400,000 to fund construction of replacement Warm and Willard pools, and renovation or replacement of associated facilities, as well as repair, renovation or replacement of locker rooms and associated facilities at the existing West Campus and King pools?"|
- Text of Measure N
- Resolution authorizing the bond proposition
- Website of the Berkeley Pools Campaign
- Berkeley Ballot Measure Browser
- Berkeleyside, "City Council approves pools measure, debates streets," June 27, 2012
- Berkeley Patch, "Deadline Looms for Ballot Arguments," August 16, 2012
- The Daily Californian, "Pools bond would preserve city’s quality of life," June 18, 2012
- Berkeleyside, "Community rallies to get pool measure on ballot," April 30, 2012
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.