Beth Fukumoto Chang
|Hawaii House of Representatives District 36|
|November 6, 2012-Present|
|November 4, 2014|
|Years in position||3|
|State House Minority Floor Leader|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||American Studies and Sociology, University of Hawaii Manoa (2006)|
|Master's||English, Georgetown University (2008)|
Fukumoto was a Republican candidate for District 37 in the Hawaii House of Representatives in the September 18, 2010 state legislative elections. The general election was November 2, 2010.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Fukumoto served on the following committees:
|Hawaii Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Human Services|
Fukumoto's campaign website listed the following issues:
- Lower Taxes
- Excerpt: "My stance on taxes is simple: no more money until we see better results. There’s nothing new about wanting to lower taxes, but that’s because high taxes are a persistent and pervasive problem. Hawaii taxes the poor more heavily than most other states."
- Better Jobs
- Excerpt: "The fact that Hawaii’s unemployment rate remains below the national rate is sometimes difficult to get excited about when the best and the brightest of our young people are leaving Hawaii for better jobs on the mainland. ...Budget and unemployment problems are not solved by laws that drive investors away and ruin the State’s reputation. We need people in government that understand that and will reach out to businesses and reach into the international markets to build stable and sustainable jobs for Hawaii."
- Smart Development
- Excerpt: "While new developments can be important, community-enhancing endeavors, I believe it is vital that we protect the community’s right to weigh-in on major projects in our area."
- Sustainability & Green Job Creation
- Excerpt: "Hawaii should be a leader in clean energy use and development. We have the ideal environment for developing clean energy technologies that would simultaneously decrease the cost of energy, reduce pollution, draw international business and bring better jobs to Hawaii."
- Innovation in Education
- Excerpt: "Hawaii has great teachers who don’t get paid enough and capable students who don’t get the tools they need to really excel. There’s too much wasted potential in our education system."
Fukumoto won election in the 2012 election for Hawaii House of Representatives District 36. Fukumoto defeated Mel Apana in the August 11 Republican primary and defeated District 38 incumbent Marilyn Lee (D) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Hawaii House of Representatives, District 36, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Marilyn Lee Incumbent||47.6%||4,838|
|Hawaii House of Representatives, District 36 Republican Primary, 2012|
Comprehensive donor information for Fukumoto is available dating back to 2010. Based on available campaign finance records, Fukumoto raised a total of $69,262 during that time period. This information was last updated on June 27, 2013.
|Beth Fukumoto's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Hawaii State House, District 36||$44,580|
|2010||Hawaii State House, District 37||$24,682|
|Grand Total Raised||$69,262|
2012Fukumoto won election to the Hawaii House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Fukumoto raised a total of $44,580.
|Hawaii House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Beth Fukumoto Chang's campaign in 2012|
|Republican State Leadership Cmte - Hawaii PAC||$2,000|
|Ofner, Jay L||$2,000|
|Godfrey, Roger K||$1,000|
|Harrison Jr, Harold H||$1,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$44,580|
|Source: Follow the Money|
2010Fukumoto lost the election for the Hawaii House of Representatives in 2010. During that election cycle, Fukumoto raised a total of $24,682.
|Hawaii House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Beth Fukumoto Chang's campaign in 2010|
|Hawaii Republican Party||$2,000|
|Linda Lingle Campaign Cmte||$2,000|
|Ofner, Jay L||$2,000|
|Total Raised in 2010||$24,682|
|Source: Follow the Money|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google News search for the term "Beth + Fukumoto + Hawaii + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Fukumoto's campaign website
- Candidate Facebook
- Candidate LinkedIn
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Campaign Contributions: 2012, 2010
- Beth Fukumoto, "Issues," accessed October 3, 2012
- State of Hawaii: Office of Elections, "Federal/State/County Candidates, 2012 Primary Elections," retrieved June 11, 2012
- Hawaii Secretary of State - Official 2012 Primary Results
- State of Hawaii Office of Elections, “Hawaii General 2012 - State of Hawaii – Statewide,” November 20, 2012
- Hawaii State Office of Elections, "2010 general election certified results," accessed December 13, 2013
- followthemoney.org, "Fukumoto, Beth," Accessed June 27, 2013
Roy Takumi (D)
|Hawaii House of Representatives District 36
| Succeeded by|