|U.S. House, Texas, District 16|
|El Paso City Council|
|High school||El Paso high school|
|Bachelor's||Columbia University, 1995|
|Profession||Small Business Owner|
O'Rourke graduated from Columbia University in 1995. He then returned to El Paso and co-founded Stanton Street Technology, an internet services and software company, in 1999. O'Rourke has also served on the El Paso City Council from 2005 to 2011.
O'Rourke's campaign website lists the following issues:
- End Corruption
- Excerpt: "The corruption that plagues our community has to stop, but we need reform and new leadership, especially in D.C. where members of Congress use our tax dollars to get re-elected. I will sponsor a bill to set term limits for representatives, so that they focus on getting the job done instead of the special interests that keep them in office."
- True Democrat
- Excerpt: "Instead of focusing on issues that are important to El Pasoans like the economy, jobs and ensuring that our community is well-represented in D.C., the incumbent has chosen to ask if I am a Democrat. Although I put community and country before party and partisan politics, I think my track record shows that I represent the best aspects of the Democratic Party."
- Congressional Reform
- Excerpt: "Each year the same people in Congress make the same self-serving decisions that leave us unprepared to revive a depressed economy, reverse a growing debt burden and renew America's leadership in the 21st century. The country is fed up. Congress' approval rating is now at 9%. So why does Congress have a reelection rate that rivals that of a Middle East dictator (93% over the last 5 years), despite having the lowest approval rating in history?"
- Healthcare Reform
- Excerpt: "While these are important issues to address, the act fails to address problems that are specific to El Paso and the border. As your congressman I will work to make sure that future legislation that carries out the provisions of the PPACA will help, and not hurt, El Paso."
- Reyes Works?
- Excerpt: "You may have seen the billboards reading "Reyes Works", here are the facts: Reyes has one of the worst voting and attendance records in Congress."
- Jobs and the Economy
- Excerpt: "There is greater economic opportunity in this region than in almost any other part of Americas right now. Whether it's our enviable position as the world's largest bi-national metroplex, having the country's largest military installation at Ft. Bliss or the country's newest four-year medical school as the anchor for the Medical Center of the Americas, there is abundant opportunity here."
- Veterans Affairs
- Excerpt: "Our veterans have honorably served our nation. It's time that our nation return the commitment and ensure that they are treated fairly, with dignity and respect. Unfortunately, as far too many veterans in El Paso have shared with me, they do not have the support they are owed."
- Excerpt: "Investment in education is key to the economic vitality of the nation and the region. As we move away from becoming a manufacturing nation, most jobs will come from a highly skilled labor force. Currently, the U.S. must hire 227,000 scientists and engineers from abroad to keep up with the demand in the U.S. economy."
- Fort Bliss
- Excerpt: "From the time of General John Pershing to the stewardship provided today by Major General Pittard, El Paso has been fortunate to have a strong relationship with Ft. Bliss. I will work to ensure that relationship produces more jobs and economic activity for local businesses in the future."
- Term Limits
- Excerpt: "Unfortunately, most house members are career politicians who are more concerned with the next election cycle than in making these tough decisions. They put personal considerations, party loyalty and payback to lobbyists and big donors before principle. "
O'Rourke is running in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing Texas' 16th District. He faces incumbent Silvestre Reyes, Ben Mendoza, and Jerome Tilghman in the Democratic primary on May 29, 2012. Corey Roen and Barbara Carrasco are running for election on the Republican ticket. The general election will take place on November 6, 2012.
O'Rourke's opponent, incumbent Silvestre Reyes has been targeted by the Super PAC Campaign for Primary Accountability in the 16th district Democratic primary. The PAC targeted Reyes because he has served for a long time, his constituents are dissatisfied, and there is a capable challenger.
A Reyes spokesperson criticized the Campaign for Primary Accountability's implicit support of primary Reyes challenger O'Rourke, pointing out that Republican House Majority Leader Eric Cantor had contributed to the PAC for its efforts in a Republican primary in Illinois. The Huffington Post reports that O'Rourke has responded by distancing himself from Cantor, saying he is unfamiliar with the House Majority Leader's politics, but that "if he is emblematic about Republican ideology," O'Rourke would rarely agree with Cantor.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Beto + O'Rourke + Texas + Congress
- All stories may not be relevant to this official due to the nature of the search engine.
- This Indie Rocker-Turned-Congressman Is Ready to Make His Name on ... - National Journal
- The Edge: The Politics of Disaster Aid - National Journal
- U.S. Reps. Beto O'Rourke, Steve Pearce defend area installations - El Paso Times
- Rep. O'Rourke Introduces Bill to Require States to Assist Alien Children in ... - Targeted News Service (subscription)
- Freshman lawmakers prepare to introduce their first bills - The Hill
- Term Limits Introduced - Bartlesville Radio
- Congressmen Help Launch Drug War Exit Strategy Guide - Huffington Post
- Lawmakers hear Davis, fault FBI on data sharing - Boston Globe
- Texas lawmaker proposes panel to study long waits along border - El Paso Times
- Congressmen O'Rourke, Cuellar's visit to El Paso focuses on border wait-times - El Paso Times
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
O'Rourke lives in Sunset Heights with his wife, Amy Sanders, and their three children.
- Texas' 16th congressional district elections, 2012
- United States House of Representatives elections in Texas, 2012
- U.S. House elections, 2012
- ↑ El Paso Times, "Beto O'Rourke to challenge Reyes for Congress", September 1, 2011
- ↑ Campaign website
- ↑ Texas Democratic Party - Democratic Primary Candidates
- ↑ Houston Chronicle blog "Houston-based super PAC targeting more Texas incumbents," April 8, 2012
- ↑ Huffington Post "Eric Cantor Chaos: Campaign For Primary Accountability Donation Becomes Texas Democratic Issue," April 11, 2012
State of Texas
|State executive offices||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Secretary of State | Attorney General | Comptroller | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of General Land Office | Chairman of Workforce Commission | Chairman of Public Utilities | Chairman of Railroad Commission |
Public Information Act | Transparency Checklist | Government corruption reports | Transparency Legislation | Open Records procedures | Transparency Advocates | State budget | Taxpayer-funded lobbying associations |
List of Counties |
List of Cities |
Sunshinereview:Texas school districts A - L |
Sunshinereview:Texas school districts M - Z |