Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Board member, St. Johns County School Board, District 1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||August 26, 2014|
The August 26, 2014, general election in St. Johns County featured three seats up for election. Incumbent Beverly Slough defeated challenger Kelly Lorbeer for the District 1 seat. District 3 incumbent William "Bill" Mignon also won re-election, defeating challengers Karen Harvey and Ralph D. Klein. In the District 4 race, Kelly Dawn Barrera defeated fellow candidate Nicholas M. Graham.
Slough ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House to represent Florida's 6th District. Slough sought the nomination on the Republican ticket. Slough was defeated by Ron DeSantis in the Republican primary on August 14, 2012.
The primary took place on August 14.
About the districtSt. Augustine, the county seat of St. Johns County, Florida. St. Johns County is home to 209,647 residents, according to the United States Census Bureau. St. Johns County School District is the 24th-largest school district in Florida, serving 31,580 students during the 2011-2012 school year.
St. Johns County outperformed the rest of Florida in terms of higher education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 40.7 percent of St. Johns County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 26.2 percent for Florida as a whole. The median household income in St. Johns County was $64,346 compared to $47,309 for the state of Florida. The poverty rate in St. Johns County was 9.8 percent compared to 15.6 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Beverly + Slough + St. + Johns + Schools + Florida"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Sunshine State News, "Bev Slough: Republican Seeks 'Common Sense' in 6th Congressional District" accessed June 26, 2012
- AP Results, "U.S. House Results" accessed August 14, 2012
- Florida Secretary of State, "Candidate List" accessed March 22, 2012
- Florida Secretary of State, "August 2012 Primary Election," accessed September 4, 2012
- United States Census Bureau, "St. Johns County, Florida," accessed July 14, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed July 14, 2014
- St. Johns County Supervisor of Elections, "Home," accessed July 14, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
|2014 St. Johns County School District Elections|
|St. Johns County, Florida|
|Election date:||August 26, 2014|
|Candidates:||District 1: • Kelly Lorbeer • Beverly Slough|
District 5: • Kelly Dawn Barrera • Nicholas M. Graham
|Important information:||Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|