Bill Johnson (Kentucky)
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Kentucky Secretary of State|
Johnson is a western Kentucky businessman and a ten year veteran of the United States Navy.   He has had a variety of experience as a corporate executive; he was a member of British Petroleum's international leadership team and a corporate auditor/global information security manager for General Electric. He also owned and operated a business repairing and maintaining aircraft airframes and power plants. Before entering the business world, Johnson served as a nuclear propulsion engineer for the U.S. Navy from 1988 to 1998. Johnson and his wife, Delinda, have two children.
Johnson's campaign website outlines three issue positions: "civic education," "honest elections," and "business advocacy." Specifically, he promises to "work to expand civic education programs," to push a bill that would require photo identification to vote, and to continue efforts to automate business interactions with state government. On broader policy issues, Johnson:
- Opposes to early voting and open primaries. He is also against restoring voting rights to convicted felons except when the governor grants an executive pardon.
- In June 2011, Johnson's campaign published a newsletter in which he suggested he was against same day voter registration. However, in a questionnaire released by KentuckyElection.org on April 22, 2011, he claimed he would work to "enable same day registration" by putting eligibility check technology in place.
- Opposes to abortion and supports state and federal "personhood" legislation
- Supports gun rights
- Opposes "cap and trade" legislation to control carbon emissions and supports mountaintop coal mining that has drawn criticism from environmentalists. Johnson also called for abolition of the federal Environmental Protection Agency during his 2010 campaign for U.S. Senate because it "[stands] between Kentucky and our natural resources."
- Claims he will "automate government process, eliminate waste, and reduce costs."
| Secretary of State 2011 elections|
| Kentucky • Louisiana • Mississippi
|2011 Election information|
| Primary election dates|
Statewide elections, 2011
|Secretary of State news headlines|
Johnson announced he would run for Kentucky Secretary of State in the 2011 election. He claimed the Republican nomination after a close race against former U.S. Department of Agriculture official Hilda Legg but fell to Lexington attorney and Democratic candidate Alison Lundergan Grimes in the November 8 general election.
|Kentucky Secretary of State, 2011|
|Democratic||Alison Lundergan Grimes||60.6%||494,368|
|Kentucky Secretary of State - Republican Primary|
|Republican Party||Bill Johnson||50.42%|
|Republican Party||Hilda Legg||49.58%|
- NOTE: Hilda Legg requested a recanvass of the vote in the Republican primary, which was conducted on May 26. It did not change the result.
|U.S. Senator from Kentucky - Republican Primary |
|Republican Party||Rand Paul||58.8%|
|Republican Party||C.M. "Trey" Grayson||35.5%|
|Republican Party||Bill Johnson||2.2%|
|Republican Party||John Stephenson||2.0%|
|Republican Party||Gurley L. Martin||0.8%|
|Republican Party||Jon J. Scribner||0.8%|
Kentucky Secretary of State
As of July 13, 2011, the breakdown of Johnson's campaign finances during the primary season was as follows:
|Kentucky Secretary of State -- Republican Primary|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Contributions||Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
U.S. Senator from Kentucky
According to Open Secrets, Johnson raised $78,046 in 2010 for his senatorial campaign. 
- Bill Johnson for Secretary of State Campaign website
- Bill Johnson's Facebook profile
- Bill Johnson's Twitter account
- Cincinnati Inquirer "Bill Johnson to run for secretary of state in 2011" 28 Sept. 2010
- Bluegrass Politics "Bill Johnson files to run for secretary of state" 8 Nov. 2010
- Bill Johnson for Secretary of State, "Issues," accessed July 13, 2011.
- Friends of Bill Johnson, "Election Gazette," accessed July 13, 2011.
- KentuckyElection.org, "Bill Johnson," April 22, 2011.
- The Free Republic, "BILL JOHNSON IS A FRIEND OF COAL - Time for Energy Experience in Washington [US Senate - KY," February 23, 2010.]
- Louisville Courier-Journal, "2011 Voter Guide," accessed July 13, 2011.
- Lexington Herald-Leader, "Legg concedes Republican Secretary of State primary to Johnson," May 27, 2011.
- Kentucky State Board of Elections - 2010 Republican Primary Election Results
- Kentucky Registry of Election Finance, "Candidate Searches," accessed July 12, 2011.
- Amended on 5/3/2011
- Amended on 1/4/2011
- Open Secrets - Campaign Contributions for William Ejner Johnson Jr., 2010