Bill Otto (Kansas)
|Kansas House of Representatives District 9|
|2005 - 2013|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|LeRoy City Council|
|2002 – 2004|
|Associates||Allen County Community College (1968)|
|Bachelor's||Pittsburg State University (1969)|
|Master's||Pittsburg State University (1976)|
|Date of birth||July 17, 1948|
|Place of birth||Pittsburg, Kansas|
Prior to his election to the House, Otto served on the Southern Coffey County Site Council (2003-2006), LeRoy City Council (2002-2004), Unified School District 245 Site Council (2000-2003), and the Unified School District 247 Cherokee (1984).
Receiving both his bachelors and masters degrees from Pittsburgh State University, Otto served as Principal at Central Heights Elementary (1976-1978) and McCune High School (1978-79). He also worked as a Performance Accreditation Director for USD 245 (1984-2004).
Otto's answers to the Kansas State Legislative Election 2008 Political Courage Test are available.
In the test Otto named his top legislative priorities as:
- Child care for working parents, or at least get KDHE out of the way
- Stop stupid state regulations and build the power plants
- Cut Government in Topeka.
- H 2069 State government; reduction in legislative pay and hours of work for certain executive branch positions; concerning nonessential state owned buildings. 01/26/2009
- H 2119 Tax on wages paid by employer convicted of hiring guest workers. 01/28/2009
- H 2122 Highway advertising control act. 01/28/2009
- H 2205 Repeal of K.S.A. 76-731a, which grants residency for tuition purposes to certain unlawful immigrants. 02/03/2009
- H 2206 Amendments to late term and partial birth abortion law. 03/05/2009
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Otto served on the following committees: Aging and Long-term Care
- Elections Committee, Kansas House of Representatives
- Health and Human Services Committee, Kansas House of Representatives
- Local Government Committee, Kansas House of Representatives
- Vision 2020 Committee, Kansas House of Representatives
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Otto served on the following committees:
- Education Committee, House of Representatives
- Health and Human Services Committee, House of Representatives
- Elections Committee, House of Representatives
- Local Government Committee, House of Representatives
- Children's Issues Joint Committee, State Legislature
Otto ran for re-election in the 2012 election for Kansas House of Representatives District 76. He and District 59 incumbent William Prescott were defeated by incumbent Peggy Mast in the August 7 Republican primary. Janet L. Lewis ran unopposed in the Democratic primary. The general election took place on November 6, 2012.
|Kansas House of Representatives, District 76 Republican Primary, 2012|
|Peggy Mast Incumbent||46.9%||1,735|
|Bill Otto Incumbent||33.2%||1,226|
|William Prescott Incumbent||19.9%||735|
Otto won re-election to the 9th District Seat in 2010 with no opposition. He was also unopposed in the Republican primary. The general election took place on November 2, 2010.
On November 4, 2008, Otto was re-elected to the 9th District Seat in the Kansas House of Representatives, defeating Jon M. Dunbar (D).  Otto raised $14,982 for his campaign, while Dunbar raised $5,993. 
|Kansas House of Representatives, District 9|
|Bill Otto (R)||5,772||61.9%|
|Jon M. Dunbar (D)||3,550||38.0%|
In 2010, Otto received $14,740 in campaign donations. The largest contributors to the campaign are listed below.
|Kansas House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Bill Otto (Kansas)'s campaign in 2010|
|Kansas Contractors Association||$1,000|
|Kansas Association Of Realtors||$1,000|
|Kansas Optometric Association||$750|
|Heavy Constructors Association||$500|
|Total Raised in 2010||$14,740|
In 2008 Otto collected $14,982 in donations.
His four largest contributors were:
|Kansas Medical Society||$1,000|
|Union Pacific Railroad||$700|
|Kansas Dental Association||$600|
|Kansas Contractors Association||$600|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Bill + Otto + Kansas + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Kansas Legislature - Bill Otto
- Project Vote Smart Bio
- Project Vote Smart Legislative Profile
- Kansas Votes profile
- State Surge - Legislative and voting track record
- Campaign contributions: 2004, 2006, 2008
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Bill Otto Biography
- Kansas State Legislative Election 2008 Political Courage Test
- Kansas Legislature - Bills Introduced by Member
- Kansas Secretary of State, "Candidates for the 2012 primary (official)," retrieved July 16, 2012.
- C-SPAN, "Kansas - Summary Vote Results," retrieved August 7, 2012.
- Official Kansas House of Representatives General Election Results, 2010
- 2008 Kansas Election Results
- Kansas House of Representatives, 2008 Money Raised
- Follow the Money - 2010 Campaign contributions
- Follow the Money - 2008 Campaign Contributions
|Kansas House of Representatives District 9
| Succeeded by|
Edwin H. Bideau III (R)
State of Kansas
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary of Wildlife and Parks | Secretary of Labor | Corporation Commission |