|Virginia Senate District 19|
|January 2011 - Present|
|January 11, 2012|
|Years in position||3|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||January 11, 2011|
|First elected||January 11, 2011|
|Next general||November 8, 2011|
Stanley, the son of a navy pilot, moved to Franklin County in his youth. He graduated from Hampden Sydney College and the D.C. School of Law. He began his law practice with Gil Davis, a former candidate for attorney general. At this practice, Stanly was involved in the case of Paula Jones v. Bill Clinton, which allowed civil lawsuits against a sitting president. In 1999, he returned to Franklin County to practice law and support his mother's goal of becoming a lawyer. He has served as the Franklin County Republican Chairman and the 5th District Republican Party Chairman.
Stanley's 2011 special election Campaign site list's his campaign promises:
- I will never vote to raise your taxes or user fees at any time.
- I will fight to reduce state spending and the size of state government.
- I will fight to protect our rural, conservative values & way of life here in the 19th State Senate district.
- I will fight to keep the “19th the 19th” during this year of re-districting. Southern Campbell, Franklin, Pittsylvania counties & the City of Danville are the power in the south to counter the influence of Northern Virginia and Hampton Roads. We cannot split this senatorial district up as the democrats in the State Senate want.
- I will fight to strengthen our immigration policy – I will ensure that our commonwealth will enforce the state law if the federal government will not.
- I support the “Repeal Amendment,” and will be a stalwart in preserving the sovereignty of the Commonwealth of Virginia over the over-reaching power of the federal government.
- I will always fight to protect human life as sacred, and will defend our citizen’s right to keep and bear arms under the 2nd amendment of our Constitution.
- I will strictly adhere to the United States & Virginia Constitutions, as well as the Republican Creed.
- I will fight to reduce taxes & and the crushing government regulations on small businesses in order to make the 19th a business-friendly area for new businesses to start, and existing businesses to expand and grow.
- I will never vote for a bill that will raise our utility rates.
- I will seek to lessen the grip of AEP on the rights of individual property owners around Smith Mountain and Leesville Lakes.
- I will support Del. Kathy Byron’s bill to repeal the law that made HPV vaccinations mandatory for the daughters of Virginia parents.
2011 General election
- See also: Virginia State Senate elections, 2011
At least two incumbent Republican senators affected by state legislative redistricting have moved to avoid primary contests with other incumbents. As a result of the moves, Bill Stanley will challenge incumbent Roscoe Reynolds (D) in Senate District 20, a contentious race that could draw millions in campaign contributions. 
Race to watch
More than $1 million has been raised for the race as of October 2011.
2011 Special election
Stanley has been endorsed by:
- The Lynchburg Tea Party 
2011 special election
- Washington Post, "Presidential Immunity: Clinton v. Jones," 1997
- Campaign Site, "Who is Bill Stanley"
- Westport News, "After Dems' remap, Va. GOP won't go away quietly," May 29, 2011
- Go Dan River "TV time soaking up funds in Senate race," October 30, 2011
- WSET TV "Stanley, Habeeb Win in Special Election," January 11, 2011
- Lynchburg Tea Party endorses Bill Stanley for Senate
- Washington Post, "Republicans outraise opponents for Virginia special elections," January 3, 2011