Blue Valley Unified School District 229, Kansas
|Transparency grading process|
This website was reviewed on November 15, 2011.
- Board members are listed with contact information.
- Meeting minutes and agendas are posted, along with information on public participation.
- Background check policies are in place.
- Audits are posted.
- Current year budget information is posted.
- Tax rates are posted in the budget.
- District contacts are listed, with online forms to contact them.
- The site links to the Kansas State Department of Education's report card for the district
- A Freedom of Information officer is named.
- Previous years' budgets are not posted.
- Email addresses and phone numbers are not provided for district contacts.
- Only an online form is provided to contact the Freedom of Information officer, and no procedures are outlined on how to submit a public records request.
- Bids and contracts are not posted.
The Blue Valley school board is made up of seven members; six represent districts and one is elected at large. They are elected to four-year terms and are unpaid.
|Cindy Bowling||South Area||Member|
|Steve Klika||NW Area||Member|
|Sue Matson||NE Area||President|
|Pam Robinson||NE Area||Member|
|Mike Seitz||South Area||Member|
|Tony Thill||NW Area||Vice President|
Blue Valley Superintendent Dr. Tom Trigg was named Kansas Superintendent of the Year in 2011 and was among four finalists for National Superintendent of the Year named by the American Association of School Administrators. Trigg has been Blue Valley's superintendent since 2004, and during his tenure, Blue Valley has been the only district in the nation with more than 20,000 students to achieve Adequate Yearly Progress goals eight years in a row.
Blue Valley Unified School District 229 does not publish its annual budget on its website.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Adequate yearly progress
Math and reading
|Grade||Subject||% Met or Exceeded Standard|
Blue Valley's graduation rate was 95.1% in 2010, and its dropout rate was 0.3%.
Top 500 ranking
Newsweek magazine ranked two Blue Valley high schools in the top 500 high schools in the country. Rankings were based on ACT and SAT scores, AP classes offered and performance, graduation rate, and other factors.
- Kansas State Department of Education "District Information," Accessed November 15, 2011
- Blue Valley School District "Board Member Profiles," Accessed November 15, 2011
- .Blue Valley School District "Meetings & Agendas," Accessed November 15, 2011
- Blue Valley School District "Employment FAQ," Accessed November 15, 2011
- Blue Valley School District "Finances," Accessed November 15, 2011
- Blue Valley School District "2012 Budget at a Glance," Accessed November 15, 2011
- Blue Valley School District "District Contacts," Accessed November 15, 2011
- Blue Valley School District "District Performance," Accessed November 15, 2011
- Blue Valley School District "Administrative Organizational Assignments," Accessed November 15, 2011
- Blue Valley School District "Blue Valley’s Tom Trigg one of four finalists for National Superintendent of the Year," Accessed November 15, 2011
- United States Census Bureau, "Public Elementary–Secondary Education Finance Data," accessed December 11, 2013
- Blue Valley School District "Two Blue Valley high schools named to list of top 500 U.S. high schools," Accessed November 15, 2011