|U.S. House, California, District 27|
|January 3, 2013|
|Years in position||17|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|First elected||November 5, 1996|
|Next general||November 6, 2012|
|Bachelor's||University of California, Los Angeles|
|Birthday||October 24, 1954|
|Place of birth||Los Angeles, California|
Sherman is running for re-election in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing California's 30th District as a Democrat. He was displaced from his current district, the 27th by redistricting. District 28 incumbent Rep. Howard Berman is running as a Democrat, while Mark Reed and Susan Shelley are running as Republicans in the June 5, 2012 open primary election.
Below is an abbreviated outline of Sherman's academic, professional and political career:
- 1997-Present: U.S. House of Representatives, California's 27th congressional district
- 1990-1995: California State Board of Equalization
- 1979: Graduated from Harvard Law School with J.D.
- 1974: Graduated from University of California, Los Angeles with B.A.
Sherman serves on the following committees:
- Financial Services Committee
- Subcommittee on Capital Markets and Government Sponsored Enterprises
- Subcommittee on Courts and Competition Policy
- Subcommittee on Insurance, Housing and Community Opportunity
- Foreign Affairs Committee
- Subcommittee on Asia and the Pacific
- Subcommittee on Terrorism, Nonproliferation, and Trade
- Subcommittee on the Middle East and South Asia
Percentage voting with party
The website OpenCongress tracks how often members of Congress vote with the majority of the chamber caucus. According to the website, Brad Sherman has voted with the Democratic Party 94.2% of the time, which ranked 36 among the 192 House Democratic members as of 2011.
Sherman's campaign website lists the following issues:'
- Fixing the Economy
- Excerpt: "When the recession hit, Brad Sherman made job creation his top priority. He voted for legislation that saved or created more than 3 million jobs. As a result, construction was accelerated on transportation projects in the San Fernando Valley, like the 405-Sepulveda Pass freeway widening project."
- Standing Up to Wall Street
- Excerpt: "As a CPA and tax policy expert, Brad Sherman led the effort to oppose the Bush Administration’s TARP bailouts of Wall Street. He successfully fought to prevent future bailouts. He helped author the legislation to protect consumers from credit and mortgage fraud, increase capital requirements for banks, and end conflicts of interest for bond rating agencies. "
- Protecting Social Security and Medicare
- Excerpt: "Top Republican leaders are proposing privatizing Social Security and Medicare, cutting benefits, and raising the retirement age to 70. Brad Sherman strongly opposes all efforts to replace Social Security with private accounts that will place retirees at the mercy of the Wall Street."
- Protecting the Environment
- Excerpt: "Brad Sherman has been a strong environmental leader, providing critical support for the protection and expansion of park lands in the Santa Monica Mountains. He has worked to improve the Sepulveda Basin recreation area, and to build more local playgrounds, sports fields and bike lanes."
- The U.S.-Israel Relationship
- Excerpt: "For almost 15 years, I have served on the House Foreign Affairs Committee. I have been the lead Democratic member on the subcommittee dealing with Terrorism and Nonproliferation since 2003. Throughout my term in Congress, I have worked to support U.S. friendship and increased cooperation with Israel, our only close ally in the Middle East."
- Strengthening U.S.-Armenia Ties
- Excerpt: "As a senior member of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs, I have focused on recognizing the Armenian Genocide, increasing funding to Armenia and Nagorno-Karabakh, and increasing military training aid for Armenia. I have also recently met with the President of Armenia as well as the Speaker of the Parliament of Nagorno-Karabakh to discuss strengthening ties between the United States, Armenia, and Artsakh."
- The U.S.-Greece Relationship
- Excerpt: "As a senior member of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs and a member of the Congressional Caucus on Hellenic Issues, I am a supporter of a strong U.S.-Greek relationship."
Sherman is running for re-election in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing California's 30th District as a Democrat. He was displaced from his current district, the 27th by redistricting. He is running against Vince Gilmore (D), district 27 incumbent Howard Berman (D), Mark Reed (R), Susan Shelley (R), Navraj Singh (R), and Michael Powelson (Green) in the June 5, 2012, open primary.
|U.S. House, California District 27 General Election, 2010|
|Democratic||Brad Sherman Incumbent||65.2%||102,927|
His top 5 contributors between 2009-2010 were:
|U.S. House, California District 27, 2010 - Brad Sherman Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by General Election Opponent||$112,837|
|Total Spent by General Election Opponent||$107,134|
|Top contributors to Brad Sherman's campaign committee|
|Speciality Merchandise Corp||$16,800|
|Credit Union National Assn||$13,250|
|Keyes Automotive Group||$12,800|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Brad + Sherman + California + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this official due to the nature of the search engine.
Extension:RSS -- Error: Not a valid URL: http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&gl=us&q=Brad+Sherman+California+House&um=1&ie=UTF-8&output=rss%7Ctemplate=slpfeed%7Cmax=10%7Ctitle=Brad Sherman News Feed
Sherman and his wife, Lisa, have two children.
- Social media:
- Political profiles:
- Financial (federal level):
- Interest group ratings:
- Issue positions:
- Public statements:
- Voting record:
- "California incumbents seek new districts to call home", washingtonpost.com, August 11, 2011
- Politico "Congress 2012: The 5 ugliest member vs. member battles" Accessed April 18, 2012
- Gov Track "Brad Sherman" Accessed April 22, 2012
- Biographical Director of the United States Congress "Brad Sherman," Accessed November 6, 2011
- Congressman Brad Sherman, Serving the San Fernando Valley "Committee Assignments"
- OpenCongress "Voting With Party"
- Campaign website, Issues
- California Secretary of State, Official candidate list
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"
- Open Secrets "Brad Sherman 2010 Election Cycle," Accessed November 6, 2011
|U.S. House of Representatives - California, District 27
| Succeeded by|