|Michigan House of Representatives District 1|
|High school||Lutheran High School East '93, Denby Tech / Preparatory High School '93|
|Bachelor's||Wayne State University|
|Master's||Wayne State University|
|J.D.||Michigan State University College of Law|
|Place of birth||Detroit/Harper Woods Michigan|
Banks is an adjunct professor at Baker College and is on-staff at Rodnick, Unger, and Kaner, P.C.
He received his JD from Michigan State University College of Law and holds both a Bachelor of Science and Master of Education from Wayne State University.
Banks' website highlights the following campaign themes:
- Create accountability in education system
Excerpt: "As an advocate for education, I will support our children so that they receive the skills and quality education that they need to compete for jobs. This will be done by ensuring accountability for all involved in the student’s learning process, fighting for affordable college tuition to ensure that every student that wants to, attend college, and fighting for an increase in the per pupil funding, as well as, the adequate funding needed to keep highly qualified teachers in the classroom to help our students succeed."
- Create efficiencies in public safety
Excerpt: "I will work to create efficiencies in public safety by fighting for the adequate funding needed to adequately staff the public safety departments, working on various programs that will rehabilitate inmates in our correctional facilities, so that they don’t commit more crimes once they are released, and working with each public safety department to establish crime prevention workshops."
- Create affordable health care and services to senior citizens
Excerpt: "Many seniors are now forced to choose between everyday necessities or the high cost of healthcare while on a fixed income. I will work to repeal the Republican pension tax on senior’s retirement income, to partner with companies that will provide health care services for senior at a discounted rate, and fight for adequate funding for senior transportation."
- Creating jobs
Excerpt: "Two primary keys to ensuring a bright future for our community and region is to ensure that our residents receive both job training and the skills that lead to jobs. To help create jobs I will fight to end the attack on workers in our state and adamantly oppose any 'right to work' or other legislation that undermines our workforce in Michigan, and support small businesses and entrepreneurs so they can create jobs and assist with getting our economy moving again."
Banks won election in the 2012 election for Michigan House of Representatives District 1. He defeated Scott Benson, Christopher Cavanagh, Valerie Kindle, and Gregory Robinson in the August 7 Democratic primary and defeated Dan Schulte (R) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Michigan House of Representatives, District 1, General Election, 2012|
|Michigan House of Representatives, District 1 Democratic Primary, 2012|
On his website, Banks lists the following endorsements:
- Michigan Regional Council of Carpenters & Millwrights
- Teamsters Local 299
- Michigan Education Association (MEA)
- Young Democrats of Michigan
- Wayne County Sheriff Benny Napoleon
- Bishop J. Drew Sheard, Greater Emmanuel Institutional COGIC
- Pastor Mark Holloway, Peace & Goodwill Baptist Church
- State Representative Harvey Santana
- State Representative Kate Segal
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Brian + Banks + Michigan + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this candidate due to the nature of the search engine.
- Official campaign website
- Brian Banks on Facebook
- Michigan Board of Elections-2012 Candidate List
- Biographical information submitted to Ballotpedia, May 23 2012
- Brian Banks official campaign website, "About the Issues," accessed August 2, 2012
- Michigan Secretary of State "General Election Candidate List" Accessed September 11, 2012
- Michigan Secretary of State "General Election Results" Accessed November 7, 2012
- Brian Banks for State Rep, "Endorsements," accessed June 21, 2012
State of Michigan
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor General | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture and Rural Development | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor and Economic Growth | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
Michigan Supreme Court | Supreme Court Elections | Court of Appeals | First Circuit Court of Appeals | Second Circuit Court of Appeals | Third Circuit Court of Appeals | Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals | List of Michigan Circuit Courts | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |