Brian Daniel Whelan
|Brian Daniel Whelan|
|U.S. House, California, District 16|
|High school||San Joaquin Memorial High School|
|J.D.||Rutgers University Law School|
|Profession||Farmer and attorney|
- San Joaquin Memorial High School, Fresno
- UC Berkeley
- Rutgers University Law School
Whelan is a farmer and attorney.
Whelan's campaign website listed the following issues:
- Jobs & the Economy
- Excerpt: "Bringing jobs back to the Central Valley is my top priority. Fresno County ranks as the poorest county in the state and Merced County is not far behind in fourth place. With a double-digit unemployment rate, we have to reward businesses that provide economic opportunity instead of taxing and regulating them out of the state."
- Balanced Budget
- Excerpt: "Government spending, crushing levels of taxes, and unsustainable debt are only getting worse. Our government’s expansion into the auto industry, financial sector, energy sector, and the health care industry cannot continue. Future generations will be crippled by the debt if we do not confront the problem now."
- Water & Agriculture
- Excerpt: "Bad water policy that refuses to balance human suffering against environmental concerns is hurting us. It’s time we carry the message of common sense solutions to Washington: improved water storage, infrastructure and conveyance equals jobs."
- Health Care Security
- Excerpt: "We already spend more than two and a half times what other industrialized nations spend on health care. Health care decisions need to be left in the hands of patients and doctors, not unelected bureaucrats."
- High Speed Rail
- Excerpt: "Prop 1A (The California High Speed Rail Initiative) passed with only 52.7% of the votes in 2008. Voters now know it was a mistake. This is a boondoggle which will have massive cost overruns. Ridership estimates were highly inflated and don’t take into account what competing carriers (airlines, etc.) will do."
Whelan ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing California's 16th District. He and incumbent Jim Costa (D) advanced past the June 5, 2012, blanket primary, defeating Loraine Goodwin (D), Mark Garcia (R), and Johnny Tacherra (R). They faced off in the November 6, 2012, general election and Costa won.
|Brian Whelan (2012) Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|April Quarterly||April 15, 2012||$62,422.50||$78,270||$(34,256.75)||$106,435.75|
|Pre-Primary ||May 24, 2012||$106,435.75||$18,385||$(85,643.01)||$39,177.74|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Brian Daniel + Whelan + California + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- CNN "California Districts Race - 2012 Election Center"
- Whelan for Congress "Meet Brian" Accessed May 22, 2012
- Campaign website, Issues
- California Secretary of State, Official candidate list
- Unofficial election results
- Federal Election Commission "Brian Whelan's Summary Report," Accessed July 10, 2012
- Federal Election Commission "Brian Whelan April Quarterly," Accessed July 10, 2012
- Federal Election Commission "Brian Whelan Pre-Primary," Accessed July 10, 2012