Brian Daniel Whelan
|Brian Daniel Whelan|
|U.S. House, California, District 16|
|High school||San Joaquin Memorial High School|
|J.D.||Rutgers University Law School|
|Profession||Farmer and attorney|
- San Joaquin Memorial High School, Fresno
- UC Berkeley
- Rutgers University Law School
Whelan is a farmer and attorney.
Whelan's campaign website listed the following issues:
- Jobs & the Economy
- Excerpt: "Bringing jobs back to the Central Valley is my top priority. Fresno County ranks as the poorest county in the state and Merced County is not far behind in fourth place. With a double-digit unemployment rate, we have to reward businesses that provide economic opportunity instead of taxing and regulating them out of the state."
- Balanced Budget
- Excerpt: "Government spending, crushing levels of taxes, and unsustainable debt are only getting worse. Our government’s expansion into the auto industry, financial sector, energy sector, and the health care industry cannot continue. Future generations will be crippled by the debt if we do not confront the problem now."
- Water & Agriculture
- Excerpt: "Bad water policy that refuses to balance human suffering against environmental concerns is hurting us. It’s time we carry the message of common sense solutions to Washington: improved water storage, infrastructure and conveyance equals jobs."
- Health Care Security
- Excerpt: "We already spend more than two and a half times what other industrialized nations spend on health care. Health care decisions need to be left in the hands of patients and doctors, not unelected bureaucrats."
- High Speed Rail
- Excerpt: "Prop 1A (The California High Speed Rail Initiative) passed with only 52.7% of the votes in 2008. Voters now know it was a mistake. This is a boondoggle which will have massive cost overruns. Ridership estimates were highly inflated and don’t take into account what competing carriers (airlines, etc.) will do."
Whelan ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing California's 16th District. He and incumbent Jim Costa (D) advanced past the June 5, 2012, blanket primary, defeating Loraine Goodwin (D), Mark Garcia (R), and Johnny Tacherra (R). They faced off in the November 6, 2012, general election and Costa won.
|U.S. House, California District 16 General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Jim Costa Incumbent||57.4%||84,649|
|Republican||Brian Daniel Whelan||42.6%||62,801|
|Source: California Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
|U.S. House, California District 16, 2012 - Brian Daniel Whelan Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by Opponent||$1,483,126|
|Total Spent by Opponent||$1,274,919|
|Top contributors to Brian Daniel Whelan's campaign committee|
|Klepper Ag Harvesting||$12,496|
|Christopher H Whelan Inc||$10,000|
|West Hills Farm Services||$10,000|
|California Pistachio LLC||$9,998|
|San Joaquin Figs||$9,250|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
|Crop Production & Basic Processing||$108,198|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Brian Daniel + Whelan + California + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
State of California
|Ballot measures by year||
1910 | 1911 | 1912 | 1914 | 1915 | 1916 | 1919 | 1920 | 1922 | 1924 | 1926 | 1928 | 1930 | 1932 | 1933 | 1934 | 1935 | 1936 | 1938 | 1939 | 1940 | 1942 | 1944 | 1946 | 1948 | 1949 | 1950 | 1952 | 1954 | 1956 | 1958 | 1960 | 1962 | 1964 | 1966 | 1968 | 1970 | 1972 | 1973 | 1974 | 1976 | 1978 | 1980 | 1982 | 1984 | 1986 | 1988 | 1990 | 1992 | 1993 | 1994 | 1996 | 1998 | 2000 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2006 (local) | 2008 | 2008 (local) | 2009 | 2009 (local) | 2010 | 2010 (local) | 2011 (local) | 2012 | 2012 (local) | 2014 |
|State executive offices||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Controller | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary for Natural Resources | Director of Industrial Relations | President of Public Utilities |
List of Counties |
List of Cities |
California school districts A - L |
California school districts M - Z |