Bridger Canyon Rural Fire Department Board of Trustees recall, Montana (2014)
An effort to recall the Bridger Canyon Rural Fire Department Board of Trustees in Bozeman, Montana was launched in September 2013. Supporters of the recall submitted petitions in order to qualify the recall question for the ballot on November 27, 2013. The trustees being tarted by the recall then filed a lawsuit in an attempt to stop the recall election against them.
On January 27, 2014, a judge permanently put an end to the recall effort, ruling that the language in the recall petition wasn't legally sufficient to be submitted to voters. Therefore, the effort did not go to a vote.
The recall effort was led by a group calling itself the "Bridger Canyon Fire District Safety Coalition." The group alleged that the Board broke state open meetings laws and blamed the Board for the resignations of Chief Dan Astrom and a group of veteran fire fighters.
Response to recall effort
Board Chairman Mike Conn told reporters, "We don't want to violate any laws either intentionally or inadvertently. We have no desire to keep things secret. I don't know that we were always perfect, but I can guarantee you there was no ill intent."
Path to the ballot
- See also: Laws governing recall in Montana
Recall supporters had 90 days to collect 104 signatures, 15 percent of the registered voters in the district, for each petition to trigger a recall election. Ultimately, a judged ruled that the language of the petition was not sufficient, and the recall never went before voters.
- Bridger Canyon Rural Fire Department
- Bridger Canyon Fire District Safety Coalition (Recall Supporters)
- Bozeman Daily Chronicle, "Bridger Canyon residents seeking to recall fire trustees," September 16, 2013
- Bridger Canyon Fire District Safety Coalition," September 16, 2013
- KXLF.com, "Petition to overthrow trustees being circulated by some Bridger Canyon residents," September 17, 2013
- Billings Gazette, "Fire district trustees seek to halt recall," December 7, 2013
- Bridger Canyon Rural Fire Department, "Board of Trustees," Accessed September 20, 2013
- Bozeman Daily Chronicle, "Judge stops Bridger Canyon trustee recall election," January 27, 2014
State of Montana
List of Montana ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Director of the Department of Revenue | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Securities and Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources and Conservation | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Public Service Commission |