C. Todd Gilbert
|Virginia House of Delegates District 15|
|2006 - Present|
|January 8, 2014|
|Years in position||9|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 8, 2011|
|Next general||November 5, 2013|
|Bachelor's||Government, University of Virginia|
|J.D.||Southern Methodist University|
|Date of birth||10/19/1970|
|Place of birth||Newton, TX|
Gilbert earned a B.A. in Government at the University of Virginia in 1993 and a J.D. from Southern Methodist University School of Law in 1996. His professional experience includes stints as a prosecutor for the City of Lynchburg and Shenandoah County.
Gilbert's campaign website listed the following issues:
- Jobs and the Economy
"He strongly believes in Virginia’s right-to-work laws and voted to make them part of our state constitution because he knows they contribute to job creation in Virginia."
- Protecting the Second Amendment
"Delegate Gilbert does not believe that law-abiding citizens should have to get the permission of their government to carry a concealed firearm. He believes that the only outcome achieved by more gun laws and restrictions, including so-called “gun-free zones”, is to disarm good, law-abiding people while ensuring they are at the mercy of armed predators who will never follow the law."
- Traditional Faith and Family Values
"He was a co-sponsor of the “Marriage Amendment” which enshrined marriage into Virginia’s constitution as being between one man and one woman. He successfully sponsored a new law to protect faith-based adoption agencies from being forced, by the government, to place children with same sex couples."
- Fighting Obamacare
"Todd has co-sponsored legislation to exempt Virginians from the provisions of Obamacare and this past session was one of only a handful of representatives to vote against laying the groundwork for the expensive expansion of Medicaid under the mandates of Obamacare."
- Public Safety
"Todd has sponsored and supported countless new laws aimed at protecting our children from sexual predators, including mandatory life sentences for those convicted of raping a child."
In the 2012-2013 session, Gilbert served on the following committees:
In the 2010-2011 session, Gilbert served on the following committees:
- Courts of Justice
- Criminal Law Subcommittee
- Judicial Systems Subcommittee
- Privileges and Elections
- Elections Subcommittee
- Militia, Police and Public Safety
- Subcommittee #2
- General Laws
- FOIA/Procurement Subcommittee
- Professions/Occupations and Administrative Process Subcommittee
- HB 2356 Budget Bill; requires 2010-12 biennium and future bills to be prepared using zero-based principles.
- HB 2359 Ephedrine and pseudoephedrine; pilot program for tracking distribution thereof.
- HB 2360 Retail Sales and Use Tax; exempts fabrication of animal meat.
In 2009, Gilbert was re-elected to the Virginia House of Delegates. He defeated John Lesinski in the General Election. 
|Virginia House of Delegates General Election, District 15 (2009)|
|C. Todd Gilbert (R)||16,168|
|John Lesinski (D)||7,155|
Delegate Gilbert talks about the 2008 Special Session opening
In 2011, Gilbert received $106,864 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Virginia House of Delegates 2011 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to C. Todd Gilbert's campaign in 2011|
|Allen Allen Allen & Allen||$4,500|
|Virginia Bankers Association||$3,500|
|Virginia Trial Lawyers Association||$3,000|
|Virginia Beer Wholesalers Association||$2,992|
|Total Raised in 2011||$106,864|
The top 5 donors to Gilbert's 2009 campaign:
|William Denman Zirkle||$3,667|
|Allen Allen Allen & Allen||$3,500|
|Virginia Assoc of Realtors||$3,250|
|Virginia Dental Assoc||$3,000|
|Virginia Trial Lawyers Assoc||$3,000|
In 2013, Gilbert was endorsed by the National Rifle Association.
Gilbert and his wife, Jennifer, live on a farm near Mount Jackson. Gilbert is a member of the First Baptist Church of Woodstock, National Rifle Association, Shenandoah County Bar Association, and the Virginia State Bar Association. He also sits on the Board of the Shenandoah County Free Clinic.
- Virginia House of Delegates - Rep. Gilbert
- Campaign website
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions:2009, 2007, 2005
- State Surge - legislative and voting track record
- Richmond Sunlight profile
- Delegate Gilbert Facebook profile
- About Todd, Gilbert for Delegate, Accessed May 6, 2013
- Issues, Gilbert for Delegate, Accessed May 6, 2013
- Bill Tracking - Legislation as Chief Patron
- Virginia State Board of Elections - November 2011 General Election Official Results
- Virginia House of Delegates 2009 General Election Results
- Follow the Money - 2011 contributions
- Follow the Money - 2009 Campaign Contributions
- National Rifle Association, "Political Victory Fund Endorsements," Accessed May 31, 2013
- Project Vote Smart - Delegate Gilbert
|Virginia House of Delegates District 15
| Succeeded by|
State of Virginia
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chairman of State Corporation Commission |