California's 26th Congressional District elections, 2014
California is one of three states to use a blanket primary, or top-two system, which allows all candidates to run and all voters to vote but only moves the top two vote-getters, regardless of party affiliation, to the general election.
Heading into the election the incumbent is Julia Brownley (D), who was first elected in 2012.
Note: Prior to the signature filing deadline, candidates will be added when Ballotpedia writers come across declared candidates. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.
General election candidates
June 3, 2014, primary results
Incumbent Julia Brownley (D) is a member of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee's Frontline Program. The program is designed to help protect vulnerable Democratic incumbents heading into the 2014 election.
Brownley defeated Republican former state legislator Tony Strickland for the open 26th District seat in the general election on November 6, 2012, earning 52.7 percent of the total vote. The following April, Strickland filed his campaign paperwork with the Federal Election Commission to begin raising money for a 2014 re-match against Brownley. He ultimately decided against the rematch and sought election to the 25th District instead.
After the blanket primary, Cook Political Report changed the rating of this race from Lean D to Toss-up. The Republican candidates in the race received over 50 percent of the primary vote, showing that the race is likely to be very competitive in November.
|U.S. House, California District 26 General Election, 2012|
|Source: California Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
- United States House of Representatives elections in California, 2014
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Cook Political Report, "2014 HOUSE RACE RATINGS FOR June 26, 2014," accessed July 28, 2014
- Sabato's Crystal Ball, "2014 House Races," accessed July 28, 2014
- National Conference of State Legislatures Website, "State Primary Election Types," accessed January 6, 2014
- Fair Vote, "Congressional and Presidential Primaries: Open, Closed, Semi-Closed, and 'Top Two,'" accessed January 6, 2014
- Ballotpedia research conducted December 26, 2013 through January 3, 2014 researching and analyzing various state websites and codes.
- California Redistricting Map "Map" accessed September 25, 2012
- Los Angeles Times, "GOP Assemblyman Jeff Gorell to challenge Rep. Julia Brownley," November 25, 2013
- KPCC, "A second GOP challenger for Ventura County Democrat's Congressional seat," December 4, 2013
- Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, "DCCC Chairman Steve Israel Announces 2013-2014 Frontline Members," March 5, 2013
- Bloomberg News, "California: Strickland Seeks Rematch with Brownley," April 2, 2013
- Red State, "Cook Political Report shifts California-26 from Lean D to Toss-up.," June 23, 2014
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"