California's 31st Congressional District elections, 2014
November 4, 2014
June 3, 2014
California is one of three states to use a blanket primary, or top-two system, which allows all candidates to run and all voters to vote but only moves the top two vote-getters, regardless of party affiliation, to the general election.
Heading into the election the incumbent is Gary Miller (R), who was first elected in 1998.
Note: Prior to the signature filing deadline, candidates will be added when Ballotpedia writers come across declared candidates. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.
General election candidates
June 3, 2014, primary results
- Pete Aguilar
- Joe Baca - Former U.S. rep
- Danny Tillman
- Eloise Gomez Reyes
- Lesli Gooch - Aide to retiring Rep. Gary Miller
- Paul Chabot
- Ryan Downing
|U.S. House, California District 31 General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Gary Miller Incumbent||55.2%||88,964|
|Source: California Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
|U.S. House, California District 31 General Election, 2010|
|Democratic||Xavier Becerra Incumbent||83.8%||76,363|
|Republican||Stephen C. Smith||16.2%||14,740|
- United States House of Representatives elections in California, 2014
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2014
- National Conference of State Legislatures Website, "State Primary Election Types," accessed January 6, 2014
- Fair Vote, "Congressional and Presidential Primaries: Open, Closed, Semi-Closed, and 'Top Two,'" accessed January 6, 2014
- Ballotpedia research conducted December 26, 2013 through January 3, 2014 researching and analyzing various state websites and codes.
- California Redistricting Map "Map" accessed September 25, 2012
- Sunshine State News "Democratic Super-PAC Targets Steve Southerland" Accessed March 8, 2013
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"