California's 47th Congressional District elections, 2012
November 6, 2012
June 5, 2012
Candidates wishing to run must file by the signature filing deadline of March 9, 2012. The primary election will be held on June 5, 2012.
Heading into the election the incumbent is Loretta Sanchez (D), who was first elected in 1996. However, due to heavy redistricting, the current incumbent of the district will most likely no longer remain in the district.
According to a Cook Political Report analysis, the 47th district is one of 13 congressional districts in California that may be competitive in 2012. The analysis rated it as Likely Democratic.
Note: Due to California's recently adopted Top Two Candidates Open Primary Act, all candidates compete in one primary. The two who receive the most votes move on to the general election, regardless of any party affiliation.
- Alan Lowenthal: State senator 
- Gary DeLong: Member of the Long Beach City Council 
- Steve Kuykendall: Former U.S. representative 
Impact of redistricting
- See also: Redistricting in California
|U.S. House, California District 47 General Election, 2010|
|Democratic||Loretta Sanchez Incumbent||53%||50,832|
- United States House of Representatives elections in California, 2012
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2012
- The Cook Political Report 2012 Competitive House Race Chat
- "State Senator Announces Bid in New Long Beach District", rollcall.com, June 17, 2011
- "UPDATE: Councilmember Gary DeLong Announces Run for Congress, Endorsed By Governor Deukmejian and Supervisor Knabe", lbpost.com, August 17, 2011
- "EXCLUSIVE: Former Rep. Steven Kuykendall To Run For 47th Congressional District", lbpost.com, August 24, 2011
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"