California's 52nd Congressional District elections, 2014
California is one of three states to use a blanket primary, or top-two system, which allows all candidates to run and all voters to vote but only moves the top two vote-getters, regardless of party affiliation, to the general election.
Heading into the election the incumbent is Scott Peters (D), who was first elected in 2012.
Note: Prior to the signature filing deadline, candidates will be added when Ballotpedia writers come across declared candidates. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.General election candidates
June 3, 2014, primary results
Incumbent Scott Peters (D) is a member of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee's Frontline Program. The program is designed to help protect vulnerable Democratic incumbents heading into the 2014 election.
|Scott Peters vs. Carl DeMaio|
|Poll||Scott Peters||Carl DeMaio||Undecided||Margin of Error||Sample Size|
|SurveyUSA (June 10-12, 2013)||39%||48%||13%||+/-4.5||500|
|Note: The polls above may not reflect all polls that have been conducted in this race. Those displayed are a random sampling chosen by Ballotpedia staff. If you would like to nominate another poll for inclusion in the table, send an email to|
|U.S. House, California District 52 General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Brian Bilbray Incumbent||48.8%||144,459|
|Source: California Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
|U.S. House, California District 52 General Election, 2010|
|Republican||Duncan Hunter Incumbent||63.1%||139,460|
- United States House of Representatives elections in California, 2014
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Cook Political Report, "2014 HOUSE RACE RATINGS FOR June 26, 2014," accessed July 28, 2014
- Sabato's Crystal Ball, "2014 House Races," accessed July 28, 2014
- National Conference of State Legislatures Website, "State Primary Election Types," accessed January 6, 2014
- Fair Vote, "Congressional and Presidential Primaries: Open, Closed, Semi-Closed, and 'Top Two,'" accessed January 6, 2014
- Ballotpedia research conducted December 26, 2013, through January 3, 2014, researching and analyzing various state websites and codes.
- California Redistricting Map, "Map," accessed September 25, 2012
- Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, "DCCC Chairman Steve Israel Announces 2013-2014 Frontline Members," March 5, 2013
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"