California Drug and Alcohol Testing for State Legislators Act (2010)
|Not on Ballot|
| This measure did not or |
will not appear on a ballot
Dorothy Cummings and Gary Ellis were the measure's official proponents.
The proposed initiative had these provisions:
- All state legislators who are elected subsequent to the passage of this initiative would be tested for the illegal use of drugs and the “habitual use of alcohol.”
- Legislators who test positive would be prohibited from performing his or her official duties or from getting paid until that legislator completes a substance abuse program at his or her own expense.
- A legislator who got a second positive test would have to permanently forfeit his or her office.
- Legislators who are using marijuana for medical purposes would be exempt.
The California Legislative Analyst's Office estimated the fiscal impact on state and local government as:
- "Probably no significant change in state costs in most years."