California Proposition 196, Murders Committed by Firing from Vehicles are Punishable by Death (1996)
Proposition 196 added an additional type of first-degree murder to the state's list of special circumstances that are punishable by the death penalty or by life imprisonment with no parole. Specifically, it says that the "intentional murder of a person by discharging a firearm from a motor vehicle with the intent to inflict death" is to be added to the list of special circumstances for first-degree murder for which the death penalty or life imprisonment without the possibility of parole is authorized.
Proposition 195, on the same March 1996 ballot, also passed, and added three additional types of first-degree murder to the list of special circumstances.
Text of measure
The official ballot summary that appeared on the ballot said:
- Adds the intentional murder of a person by discharging a firearm from a motor vehicle with the intent to inflict death to the list of special circumstances for first-degree murder for which the death penalty or life imprisonment without the possibility of parole is authorized.
- Joined to Proposition 195 (Chapter 477, Statutes of 1995). If both measures pass, murder during carjacking, murder resulting from a carjacking kidnap, and murder of juror in retaliation for, or to prevent, performance of juror's duties, are also added to the list of special circumstances.
The California Legislative Analyst's Office provided an estimate of net state and local government fiscal impact for Proposition 196. That estimate was:
- "Adoption of this measure would result in unknown state costs, potentially ranging into several millions of dollars annually in the long run."
Path to the ballot
Proposition 196 was voted onto the ballot by the California State Legislature via Senate Bill 9 (Statutes of 1995, Chapter 478).
|Votes in legislature to refer to ballot|
- Official Voter Guide to Proposition 196
- Full text of Proposition 196
- March 26, 1996 California elections results
- PDF of the March 26 voter guide