California Term Limits, Proposition 140 (1990)
In the case of Bates v. Jones, former California Assemblyman Tom Bates and several of his constituents filed a lawsuit in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California seeking to have the court determine that the lifetime term limits in Prop. 140 violated their federal constitutional rights.
District Court Judge Claudia Wilken upheld the claim of Bates and enjoined California Secretary of State Bill Jones from enforcing the provisions of Proposition 140. In Wilken's ruling, she agrees with the view of the plaintiffs that the voters were unaware that they were imposin a lifetime ban once the limits had been reached.
The National Tax Limitation Committee and Bill Jones appealed this decision to the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. At the Ninth Circuit, a three-judge panel heard the appeal. Two of them upheld Wilken's ruling. At that time, a majority of the active judges of the Ninth Circuit vote to rehear the case. When the case was re-heard before the full circuit, Wilken's earlier verdict was overturned and the law went into effect.
The fiscal estimate provided by the California Legislative Analyst's Office said:
- The limitation on terms will have no fiscal effect.
- The restrictions on the legislative retirement benefits would reduce state costs by approximately $750,000 a year.
- To the extent that future legislators do not participate in the federal Social Security system, there would be unknown future savings to the state.
- Legislative expenditures in 1991-92 would be reduced by about 38 percent, or $70 million.
- In subsequent years, the measure would limit growth in these expenditures to the changes in the state's appropriations limit.
- California Proposition 93 (2008)
- California Proposition 45 (2002)
- Term limits, California
- Term limits in the United States
- U.S. Term Limits
- Prop 45: turning California term limits - Case Study Campaigns & Elections, June, 2002
- 1990 California ballot measure votes
- Court voids California term limits Washington Post, October 8, 1997
- Text of Bates v. Jones