|Charles A. "Charlie" Gonzalez|
|U.S. House, Texas, District 20|
|January 3, 1999-January 3, 2013|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|First elected||November 3, 1998|
|Texas State District Court Judge, Bexar County|
|County Judge, Bexar County, Texas|
|High school||Thomas A. Edison High School, TX|
|Bachelor's||University of Texas, Austin|
|J.D.||St. Mary’s School of Law|
After graduating from the University of Texas, Gonzalez went on to earn his J.D. from St. Mary's School of Law. Gonzalez taught 5th grade for one year before pursuing his legal career. Gonzalez's father represented Texas's 20th district from 1961 to 1998, when Gonzalez succeeded him.
- 1999-2013: U.S. House of Representatives
- 1989-1997: Texas State District Court Judge, Bexar County
- 1983-1987: County Judge, Bexar County, Texas
Gonzalez served on the following House committees:
- Committee on Energy and Commerce
- Subcommittee on Health
- Subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing, and Trade
- Subcommittee on Energy and Power
- Committee on House Administration
- Subcommittee on Elections
- Subcommittee on House Operations
- Subcommittee on Capitol Security
Gonzalez voted for the fiscal cliff compromise bill, which made permanent most of the Bush tax cuts originally passed in 2001 and 2003 while also raising tax rates on the highest income levels. He was one of 172 Democrats that voted in favor of the bill. The bill was passed in the House by a 257/167 vote on January 1, 2013.
On November 2, 2010, Gonzalez won re-election to the U.S. House of Representatives, defeating Clayton Trotter (R) and Michael "Commander" Idrogo (L).
Gonzalez won re-election to the U.S. House in 2010. During that re-election cycle, Gonzalez's campaign committee raised a total of $921,601 and spent $970,471.
|U.S. House of Representatives, Texas, 20th District, 2010 - Charles Gonzalez Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by General Election Opponent||$162,679|
|Total Spent by General Election Opponent||$162,679|
|Top contributors to Charles Gonzalez's campaign committee|
|CC Media Holdings||$11,000|
|National Community Pharmacists Assn||$10,125|
|American Assn for Justice||$10,000|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
|Oil & Gas||$36,500|
Congressional staff salaries
The website Legistorm compiles staff salary information for members of Congress. Gonzalez paid his congressional staff a total of $931,801 in 2011. Overall, Texas ranked 27th in average salary for representative staff. The average U.S. House of Representatives congressional staff was paid $954,912.20 in fiscal year 2011.
According to an analysis by CNN, Gonzalez is one of nearly 25% of House members who gave their staff bonuses in 2012. Gonzalez's staff was given an apparent $2,000.00 in bonus money.
Based on congressional financial disclosure forms and calculations made available by OpenSecrets.org - The Center for Responsive Politics, Gonzalez's net worth as of 2011 was estimated between $-198,995 to $275,997. That averages to $38,501, which is lower than the average net worth of Democratic House members in 2011 of $5,107,874. His average net worth decreased by 34.19% from 2010.
Based on congressional financial disclosure forms and calculations made available by OpenSecrets.org - The Center for Responsive Politics, Gonzalez's net worth as of 2010 was estimated between $-163,995 to $280,998. That averages to $58,501, which is lower than the average net worth of Democratic Representatives in 2010 of $4,465,875.
National Journal vote ratings
- See also: National Journal vote ratings
Each year National Journal publishes an analysis of how liberally or conservatively each member of congress voted in the previous year. Gonzalez tied with one other member of the U.S. House of Representatives, ranking 138th in the liberal rankings among members of the U.S. House.
Each year National Journal publishes an analysis of how liberally or conservatively each member of congress voted in the previous year. Gonzalez was ranked 149th in the liberal rankings among members of the U.S. House.
Percentage voting with party
The website OpenCongress tracks how often members of Congress vote with the majority of the chamber caucus. According to the website, Gonzalez has voted with the Democratic Party 87.0% of the time, which ranked 162 among the 192 House Democratic members as of November 2011.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Charles + Gonzalez + Texas + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Texas and region - LubbockOnline.com
- Gonzalez & Wahrmund Wedding Announcement - Valley morning Star
- Zero Prosecutions Of Colorado Secretary Of State Scott Gessler's Alleged Non ... - Huffington Post
- Carolina, officials escape vs. Patriots - ESPN
- JFK Assassination: 50 years, 50 people - Philly.com
- West Chamber Legacy Gala honors Westside Business and Community leaders - La prensa
- Home :: Real Estate :: Palm Coast Plantation home tops list at $509009 - Palm Coast Observer
- Millions experience sticker shock with insurance cancellations, increases in ... - Deseret News
- El Presidente Barack Obama visita a activistas en ayuno por la reforma migratoria - Huffington Post
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
Gonzalez has one son.
- Social media:
- Political profiles:
- Interest group ratings:
- Issue positions:
- Public statements:
- Voting record:
- ↑ Gov Track "Gonzalez" Accessed May 14, 2012
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Official House website "About Charlie," Accessed October 29, 2011
- ↑ Official House website "Committee Assignments," Accessed October 29, 2011
- ↑ U.S. House "Roll Call Vote on the Fiscal Cliff" Accessed January 4, 2013.
- ↑ U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"
- ↑ Open Secrets "Charlie A. Gonzalez 2010 Election Cycle," Accessed October 29, 2011
- ↑ LegiStorm, "Charlie Gonzalez," Accessed September 13, 2012
- ↑ CNN Politics, "Congressional bonuses in a time of cuts," March 8, 2013
- ↑ OpenSecrets.org "Charlie A. Gonzalez (D-Texas), 2011," accessed February 25, 2013
- ↑ OpenSecrets.org, "Charlie A. Gonzalez (D-Texas), 2010," Accessed September 13, 2012
- ↑ National Journal, "2012 Congressional Vote Ratings," March 7, 2013
- ↑ National Journal, "Searchable Vote Ratings Tables: House," February 23, 2012
- ↑ OpenCongress "Voting With Party"
|U.S. House of Representatives - Texas, 20th District
| Succeeded by|
|Texas State District Court Judge, Bexar County
| Succeeded by|
|County Judge, Bexar County, Texas
| Succeeded by|