Chip McCallum, III
|Charles A. "Chip" McCallum, III|
Alabama House of Representatives, District 47
- 1 Education
- 2 Professional Experience
- 3 Issues
- 4 Elections
- 5 Controversies
- 6 Community Service and Involvement
- 7 Personal
- 8 Contact information
- 9 External links
- 10 References
- B.A., Accounting, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, class of 1983.
- Juris Doctorate, Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, Birmingham, class of 1986.
- Partner, McCallum Hoaglund Cook Irby Law, 2001-present.
- Co-founder and director, SouthCity Bank.
- Partner, Cambell, Waller & McCallum, 1996-2001.
- Attorney, Haskell, Slaughter & Young, 1986-1996.
- Supports report card rating systems for all government agencies.
- Supports the proposed Education Trust Fund Rolling Reserve Bill.
- Opposes any raises in taxes.
- Supports making every vote of the legislature on the record in real-time and online.
- Supports listing all tax dollar allocations online.
- Supports authentic income disclosures by all legislators.
- Supports ethics reform by supporting subpoena power for the ethics commission.
- Opposes accepting any PAC money for his campaign.
- Supports performance-based budgeting.
- Supports Greg Canfield's Education Trust Rolling Reserve Bill to, "dramatically change how our state budgets educational funds and creates reserves for down economic times... [to] be used for planning purposes."
Sustainable economic development
- Supports the 31/47 Initiative of One Vestavia, as well as their efforts to secure funding for re-development of the area.
- Supports a regional partnership between Vestavia Hills and Hoover.
- Opposes government intervention in private business.
- Supports frees market and free enterprise.
- Supports health care for every citizen.
- Opposes Obama's health care reform.
- Supports strengthening the existing private system by keeping costs down and increasing access.
Sustainable fuel use and the environment
- Supports oil independence.
- Supports holding BP accountable.
- Supports alternative energy development.
- Opposes cap-and-trade legislation.
- Supports, "preserving green spaces in our communities."
- Supports legal immigration.
- Opposes illegal immigration.
- Opposes amnesty.
- Supports strengthening borders.
- Supports an employment verification system that holds companies accountable.
- Supports gun rights.
- Supports capital punishment, "in cases where it is justified."
- Supports parental consent and notification requirements.
- Opposes partial-birth abortion.
- Supports adoption as an alternative.
- Supports, "evidence-based, teen pregnancy prevention efforts."
- Opposes same-sex marriage.
- Supports right to vote on regulation and legalization, should the proposition be completely transparent and include an oversight commission whose members have no conflicts of interest or history of one.
- Supports reforms to build, "a modern framework that will enable Alabama to reach its fullest potential to all its citizens...[and] move our state forward."
|Alabama House of Representatives, District 47 General Election (2010)|
|Jack Williams (R)||8,735|
|Chip McCallum, III (I)||5,527|
On April 3, 2010, the Republican Party executive committee disqualified McCallum as a candidate for the House District 47 seat, citing his donations to Democratic candidates and "long-standing support of Democratic candidates."
McCallum, now an independent candidate, said, "I've given to candidates from both parties for years and I've made no secret about it. I'm non-partisan and will continue to be non-partisan."
The candidates McCallum donated to include John Edwards, John Kerry, Al Gore and Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Sue Bell Cobb.
"You would be hard-pressed," McCallum said, "to find a lawyer that does any kind of civil litigation work like I do that has not given contributions to candidates of both parties."
Community Service and Involvement
- Member, Vestavia Hills Long Range Planning Committee
- Board member, Vestavia Hills City Schools Foundation.
- Board member, Laps for CF Foundation
Board member, Men's Committee of the Birmingham Heart Ball.
- Coach, youth baseball, basketball and soccer.
Vestavia Hills Chamber of Commerce
- President, 2006
- Executive vice president, 2005
- Board of directors, 2002-2008
- Legal counsel, 2001-2004"
McCallum and his wife, Lynne, live in Vestavia Hills. They have two children- Courtney, 19, and Alex, 21."
His father, Charles A. "Scotty" McCallum, is a former two-term mayor of Vestavia Hills.
2062 Columbiana Road
Vestavia Hills, AL 35216
McCallum 2010 Campaign
732 Montgomery Hwy., PMB 232
Vestavia Hills, AL 35216
Phone: (205) 637-6288
- Campaign website
- Project Vote Smart Biography
- Independent general election candidate list
- Chip McCallum's Twitter Account
- MHCI Law
- SouthCity Bank
- McCallum Hoaglund Cook Irby Law
- Campaign site for Chip McCallum III
- Statewide general election results
- Charles "Chip" McCallum to run as independent for Alabama House District 47"
- "Republican executive committee disqualifies Charles 'Chip' McCallum III in House race"
- "Don't count Chip McCallum out of the Alabama House District 47 race just yet"