|U.S. House, New York, District 27|
|Bachelor's||North Carolina State|
|Master's||University of Alabama|
|Profession||Small Business Owner|
Collins is a former county legislator.
Collins won election in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing New York's 27th District. He defeated David Bellavia in the June 26, 2012, Republican primary and then defeated incumbent Kathy Hochul (D) and Megan Lavin (I) in the November 6, 2012, general election.
Bellavia is an Iraq War veteran and Tea Party activist, and Collins is a former county legislator. Bellavia sought to win as a more conservative candidate than Collins. He pointed out that the former Erie County Executive praised incoming federal stimulus funding when he was in office. Collins, however, did receive the Conservative Party endorsement. State Party Chairman Michael Long commented: "He had a proven record.... Collins would be more competitive against the congresswoman."
According to the Buffalo News, Bellavia was the underdog and rarely recognized by Collins. Bellavia, who wrote a book and subsequently sold the movie rights about his experiences in Iraq, said in taking on Collins he took on the "Erie County (political) machine."
Both candidates were largely self-funded, with Collins self-funding $250,000 and Bellavia $45,000. Reports also show that Collins raised another $5,750, and Bellavia raised $50,000 in addition to his own contribution.
|Chris Collins Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|July Quarterly||July 13, 2012||$176,178.51||$4,749||$(115,557.52)||$65,369.99|
|October Quarterly||October 15, 2012||$66,696.99||$726,394.71||$(626,320.26)||$166,771.44|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Chris + Collins + New York + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- New York Board of Elections "Filings for June 26, 2012 Federal Primary," Accessed June 11, 2012
- AP/CSPAN "New York-Summary Vote Report," June 26, 2012
- Politico "2012 Election Map, New York"
- The Batavian "Bellavia knocks Collins for seeking funds from Obama's stimulus package," June 20, 2012
- US News "In New York 27th, a Fierce GOP Congressional Primary Rages," May 30, 2012
- Buffalo News "Battle-tested underdog David Bellavia is on a mission," June 19, 2012
- Buffalo News "Bellavia, Collins, largely self-financed," June 16, 2012
- Federal Election Commission, "Chris Collins's July Quarterly Report," Accessed October 17, 2012
- Federal Election Commission, "Chris Collins's October Quarterly Report," Accessed October 17, 2012
State of New York
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Commissioner of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environmental Conservation | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
State of New York Court of Appeals | Supreme Court, Appellate Division | Supreme Courts (Trial Courts) | County Courts | Family Courts | Surrogates' Courts | Court of Claims | District Courts | New York City Civil Court | New York City Criminal Courts | New York City Courts | Problem Solving Courts | Town and Village Courts | Judicial selection in New York |