For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Cities in Nevada
Types of local government
Local government in Nevada consists of:
- 16 county governments
- 19 incorporated city governments.
There are also 138 special districts and 17 independent school districts.
In addition, there are many unincorporated towns. While unincorporated towns may have a local board, most services and governance are provided by the respective county.
Incorporated cities in Nevada may be classified as:
- Charter city: of which there are 12 (Boulder, Caliente, Carlin, Carson City, Elko, Henderson, Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, Reno, Sparks, Wells, and Yerington)
- General law city: of which there are 7 (Ely, Fallon, Fernley, Lovelock, Mesquite, West Wendover, and Winnemucca)
Initiative process availability
The local units of government in Nevada that make the initiative process available are:
- General law cities, all 7 of which have a state mandated initiative and referendum process for ordinances.
- Charter cities, all 12 of which have a state mandated initiative and referendum process for charter amendment. All 12 charter cities also defer to the state law requirements for initiative for ordinances as well.
- General law counties, all 16 of which have a state mandated initiative and referendum process for ordinances.
10 most populated cities
|List of Most Populated Cities in Nevada|
|City||Population||City Type||Next election|
|North Las Vegas||219,020||Charter||2015|
Full List of Cities
|A guide to local ballot initiatives|
As of the 2010 Census, there are 19 incorporated cities and towns in Nevada. Population figures below are based on the updated estimates as of July 1, 2011.
|List of Cities and Population in Nevada|
|North Las Vegas||219,020|
- Local Government Types and Numbers Research Spreadsheet
- The U.S. Census Bureau's 2012 study of local governments
- Legislative Counsel Bureau, City Charters of Nevada
- Ballotpedia: Types and #'s of local government by state
- US Census Bureau "City and Town Totals: Vintage 2011 (Population figures as of 2011 Census estimates)
- Reno Elections
- Carson City Elections
- Fernley Elections
- US Census "March 2011 Estimate of Nevada cities"