For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Cities in Rhode Island
Types of local government
Local government in Rhode Island consists of:
- Town/Township: There are 31 townships in Rhode Island. All 31 operate under a charter. Rhode Island is only divided into counties for administrative purposes--there are no county governments. However, all areas of the state not incorporated as cities, are divided among the state's townships. Township governments do not differ in their authority from city governments.
- Cities: There are eight city governments in Rhode Island. They are: Providence, Warwick, Cranston, Pawtucket, East Providence, Woonsocket, Newport, and Central Falls. All eight operate under a charter.
- In addition, there are 91 special districts and 4 independent school districts.
Initiative process availability
The initiative process is available in 11 of Rhode Island's 39 charter municipalities.
10 most populated cities
Note: The 8 total cities -- not 10 -- are listed in the table below.
|List of Most Populated Cities in Rhode Island|
|City||Population||City Type||Next election|
Full List of Cities
|A guide to local ballot initiatives|
As of the 2010 Census, there are 39 incorporated cities and towns in Rhode Island. Population figures below are based on the updated estimates as of July 1, 2011. As indicated above, 31 of the municipalities are towns. The U.S. Census only lists population figures for the eight cities. See above for those figures.
- Laws governing local ballot measures in Rhode Island
- Rhode Island ballot measures
- Counties in Rhode Island
- Local Government Types and Numbers Research Spreadsheet
- U.S. Census Bureau, "Governments--Individual State Descriptions," accessed September 29, 2012, pg. 347
- The U.S. Census Bureau's 2012 study of local governments
- Ballotpedia: Types and #'s of local government by state
- US Census Bureau "City and Town Totals: Vintage 2011 (Population figures as of 2011 Census estimates)
- US Census "March 2011 Estimate of Rhode Island cities"