Clair Van Steenwyk
|Clair Van Steenwyk|
|U.S. House, Arizona, District 8|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next primary||August 26, 2014|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|High school||Bellflower High|
|Date of birth||October 1, 1946|
|Place of birth||Orange City, IA|
In 2012 Clair Van Steenwyk ran for the U.S. Senate seat Jon Kyl vacated. After losing in the primary, Clair then sought election to the Arizona House of Representatives District 13 as a write-in candidate in protest to Republican Darin Mitchell living outside the district.
Professionally, Van Steenwyk has worked in a variety of fields. He has worked in the steel industry, food industry and property management. He has also owned an antique store. He currently works as a political radio host. Van Steenwyk has taken an active role in his community by owning and operating a halfway house, a Christian coffee house that provided counseling services and other outreach programs.
Van Steenwyk's campaign website lists the following issues:
—Clair Van Steenwyk's campaign website, http://vanushouse.com/about-van/
Van Steenwyk's campaign website listed the following issues:
- Economy & Jobs
- Excerpt: "We must revise our tax system to not punish those who achieve success and reward those who don’t, at the expense of all of us. We must also put the federal, and hopefully all state government on a Zero-Based Budget rather than the Baseline Budget System now being used, which just increases the budget automatically each and every year rather than going back"
- Excerpt: "It’s time for us to have a real Energy Plan for theUnited States of America. There’s more money made by big oil from importing and not drilling than if we’d allow drilling and encourage small businesses to do the work that big oil doesn’t seem to want to do."
- National Debt
- Excerpt: "Our Financial Security is at the brink of disaster. Our elected officials for generations have put us all on a path to destruction. We have a responsibility as Americans to put an end to this type of fiscal irresponsibility."
- Excerpt: "First, ABOLISH ObamaCare. As proven by the form of health care in Europe andCanada, government-run health care JUST DOESN’T WORK. Many Canadians come here for care, as they can’t afford to wait while their condition worsens."
Van Steenwyk ran in the 2014 election for the U.S. House to represent Arizona's 8th District. Van Steenwyk sought the Republican nomination in the primary on August 26, 2014. The general election took place November 4, 2014.
Van Steenwyk (listed as Clair "Van") ran in the 2012 election for Arizona House of Representatives District 13 as a write-in candidate. Incumbent Steve Montenegro and Darin Mitchell defeated incumbent Russ Jones in the Republican primary on August 28, 2012. He was defeated in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Arizona House of Representatives, District 13 Republican Primary, 2012|
|Steve Montenegro Incumbent||39.1%||10,189|
|Russ Jones Incumbent||28%||7,294|
Candidates for Congress are required to file (up to seven) reports with the Federal Election Commission during the United States Congress elections if they exceed the contribution and/or expenditure reporting threshold. Below are Van Steenwyk's reports.
|Clair Van Steenwyk Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|April Quarterly||May 7, 2012||$109.22||$7,499.77||$(7,875.44)||$458.05|
|July Quarterly||July 6, 2012||$458.05||$9,475.77||$(8,271.42)||$1,652.40|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Clair + Van Steenwyk + Arizona + Congress"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- United States House of Representatives
- Arizona's 8th Congressional District elections, 2014
- Arizona's 8th Congressional District
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Official campaign website
- Official Campaign Facebook page
- Clair Van Steenwyk Facebook
- "Crossroads with Van" Radio Program Official Site
- [Email submission to Ballotpedia, May 24, 2014]
- Arizona Capitol Times, "Winning GOP candidate ran in Republican district while living in Democratic district," September 4, 2012
- Facebook, "Clair Van Steenwyk," accessed May 26, 2014
- Clair Van Steenwyk: U.S. House of Representatives, District 8," accessed May 26, 2014
- Campaign website, "Issues," accessed June 11, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Campaign website, "Issues," accessed September 25, 2012
- Arizona Secretary of State, "2010 Primary candidate list," accessed December 20, 2013
- Arizona Secretary of State, "Official 2012 Primary Results," accessed December 20, 2013
- Associated Press, "Arizona - Summary Vote Results," November 6, 2012
- Federal Election Commission, "Clair Van Steenwyk's Summary Report," accessed August 20, 2012
- Federal Election Commission, "Clair Van Steenwyk April Quarterly," accessed August 20, 2012
- Federal Election Commission, "Clair Van Steenwyk July Quarterly," accessed August 20, 2012
- Project Vote Smart, "Biography," accessed June 2, 2014