For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Illinois State Senate District 33|
|High school||St. Charles East High School (1981)|
|Bachelor's||Eastern Illinois University|
|Profession||Small business owner|
Surges graduated from St. Charles East in 1981, going on to earn his BA from Eastern Illinois University. He opened the Clifford Surges Agency, representing the American Family Insurance Group, in 1993.
Surges was elected twice as Village Trustee in Gilberts. After leaving office he went on to work with Municipal Design Group.
Surges' campaign website listed the following issues:
- Economic Issues
- Excerpt: "Illinois must become attractive to businesses again. This is done by fostering a culture and atmosphere that is friendly and supportive of businesses. Restrictive bureaucracies, overbearing regulations, high tax rates, and endless red tape are stifling the business climate in Illinois."
- Excerpt: "Teachers are hired because they are competent educators, but when they walk into the classroom they are burdened by undue regulations. Those regulations need to be removed and control must be given back to the teachers that are in touch with the individual needs of each student and their parents."
- Ethics and Reform Issues
- Excerpt: "The public has lost trust in the State Government, and rightly so. Pay-to-play politics, corruption, economically damaging policies… Springfield ought to be ashamed for what it has done and what has happened to the State of Illinois."
- Social and Other Issues
- Excerpt: "Life begins at conception. I oppose all forms of abortion except in cases where the life of the mother is at risk."
- See also: Illinois State Senate elections, 2012
Surges ran in the 2012 election for Illinois State Senate District 33. Surges was defeated by Karen McConnaughay in the Republican primary on March 20, 2012. Incumbent Dan Kotowski is not running for re-election in District 33 but is instead running for election in District 28. The general election took place on November 6, 2012.
|Illinois State Senate Republican Primary, 2012|
Surges and his wife, Audrey, live in Gilberts. They have three children.
- Official campaign website
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Clifford "Cliff" Surges for IL Senate 33 Facebook page
- Cliff Surges on YouTube