Clover Park School District, Washington
|Clover Park School District|
|Number of schools:||25|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Carole Jacobs|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in Clover Park School District
- 7 Academic performance
- 8 Contact information
- 9 Website evaluation
- 10 See also
- 11 External links
- 12 References
About the districtPierce County, Washington. The district serves students in Lakewood as well as Joint Base Lewis-McChord run by the U.S. Army. The population of Lakewood was 58,163 according to the 2010 U.S. Census.
Lakewood lagged behind the rest of Washington based on median income, poverty levels and higher education achievement in 2010. The 2010 U.S. Census found the median income in Lakewood was $42,273 while the state median income was $58,890. The city's poverty rate was 18.1% compared to the state's 12.5% poverty rate. The percentage of city residents over 25 years old with undergraduate degrees (21.5%) was lower than the state average (31.4%).
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
The current Superintendent of Clover Park School District is Deborah LeBeau. She has served in the position since her appointment in July 2008. LeBeau has worked as an administrator in the district since her hiring as the supervisor of special education in 1996. She earned a salary of $169,450 during the 2012-2013 school year.
The Clover Park School District Board of Directors consists of five members elected in geographic districts to four-year terms. Each member can be compensated $50 per day for district matters with maximum compensation of $4,800 per year.
|Clover Park School District Board of Directors|
|Member||District||Assumed Office||Term Ends|
School board elections
Members of the Board of Directors are elected to four-year terms on a staggered basis. Two seats on the board were up for election on November 5, 2013 and three seats will be on the ballot on November 3, 2015.
Public participation in board meetings
The Clover Park School District Board of Directors maintains the following policy on public testimony during board meetings:
|“||The board recognizes the value of public comment on educational issues and the importance of involving members of the public in its meetings. Audience participants are to direct their comments to the board rather than the audience. In order to permit fair and orderly dialogue, the board will provide a period during its regular meetings when visitors may comment on agenda items prior to board action seek clarification or discuss non-agenda items.
The following guidelines shall govern the conduct of audience participation:
1. Individuals wishing to be heard shall be asked to provide in writing their name, address and issue(s) to be discussed to the secretary of the board.
2. Individuals wishing to be heard shall first be recognized by the president.
3. Individuals wishing to address the board shall begin by stating their name and the school district in which they reside.
4. Individuals will be given an estimated time period for the comments, taking into consideration the complexity of the topic, the number of other persons wishing to be heard and similar practical considerations. When necessary, the board president will set a maximum time for each speaker's presentation. The board president may interrupt or terminate an individual's statement when it is too lengthy, personally directed, abusive or irrelevant.
5. The board as a whole shall have the final decision in determining the appropriateness of all such rulings by the presiding officer.
Individuals with disabilities who may need a modification to participate in a meeting should contact the superintendent's office no later than three days before a regular meeting and as soon as possible in advance of a special meeting so that arrangements for the modification can be made.
Clover Park School District publishes its annual budget on their district website.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Clover Park School District employed 668 K-12 teachers during the 2013-2014 school year. Teacher salaries are categorized based on higher education achievement, professional development and years of service. A teacher with a Bachelor's degree can earn higher salaries by pursuing graduate courses with raises at 15-credit intervals up to 135 quarter credits. The salary schedule also accounts for graduate degrees by providing higher starting salaries and greater potential salaries. The following table details the salary schedule negotiated between the district and teachers for 2013-2014:
|Degree level||Minimum salary ($)||Maximum salary ($)|
Schools in Clover Park School District
The district served 12,374 K-12 students during the 2013-2014 school year. The district experienced a 6.5% increase in enrollment between 2009 and 2013. The following chart details enrollment in the district between 2009 and 2013:
|Year||Enrollment||Year-to-year change (%)|
Clover Park School District operates 25 K-12 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Clover Park School District|
|Beachwood Elementary School|
|Carter Lake Elementary School|
|Clarkmoor Elementary School|
|Clover Park High School|
|Custer Elementary School|
|Dower Elementary School|
|Evergreen Elementary School|
|Greenwood Elementary School|
|Harrison Preparatory School|
|Hudtloff Middle School|
|Hillside Elementary School|
|Idlewild Elementary School|
|Lake Louise Elementary School|
|Lakes High School|
|Lakeview Elementary School|
|Lakewood Career Academy|
|Lochburn Middle School|
|Mann Middle School|
|Oakbrook Elementary School|
|Oakwood Elementary School|
|Park Lodge Elementary School|
|Southgate Elementary School|
|Tillicum Elementary School|
|Tyee Park Elementary School|
|Woodbrook Middle School|
The Washington Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction published a state report card for 2012-2013 assessing subject proficiency levels and year-to-year progress for each district. This report card relies on data from the Measurements of Student Progress (MSP) and High School Proficiency Exam (HSPE) to determine if each district meets Annual Yearly Progress (AYP) goals in reading and math. The goal for each district was to meet proficiency goals at all grade levels and student demographics by the 2013-2014 school year.
Clover Park School District met the state goal of 95% participation across all elementary and middle school levels. This rate was not achieved for math testing at the high school level. The district did not meet AYP goals for reading and math at the middle school level. The report card also concluded that the district did not meet AYP goals for math at the high school level.
|Student Proficiency Levels, 2012-2013|
|Grade||Reading (%)||Math (%)|
Adequate Yearly Progress
|AYP Achievement, 2012-2013|
|Grade||Meet Reading AYP?||Meet Math AYP?|
|Transparency grading process|
Last rated on May 2, 2012.
- Administrative Officials
- Staff members are listed with contact information.
- Elected Officials
- Board of Directors listed with contact information.
- Audits are posted for the past six years.
- Past meeting agendas are not posted.
- Vendor contracts are not available.
- Public Records
- Public records information and request form not provided.
- Tax information is not available.
- Background Checks
- Background check policy is not provided.
- Budgets are not posted.
- District website
- Washington Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Washington State School Directors' Association
- City of Lakewood
- Washington Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction, "Student Enrollment Cohort Projections, 2013" accessed January 6, 2014
- Clover Park School District, "About CPSD," accessed October 2, 2013
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Lakewood," accessed October 24, 2013
- Pierce County Elections, "Archived Elections," accessed August 5, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Clover Park School District, "Clover Park School District Superintendent," accessed January 6, 2013
- Kitsap Sun, "Staff Record For: DEBORAH L LEBEAU," accessed January 6, 2014
- Clover Park School District, "Board Member Compensation," June 11, 2012
- Clover Park School District, "Audience Participation," June 11, 2012
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Clover Park School District, "Clover Park School District FISCAL YEAR: 2011-12," accessed December 4, 2013
- Clover Park School District, "CPEA 2013-2014 Salary Schedule," accessed January 7, 2014
- Clover Park School District, "School Directory," accessed January 7, 2014
- Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, "Washington State Report Card," accessed January 6, 2014
- Clover Park School District, "Staff Contacts," accessed January 7, 2014
- Clover Park School District, "Board of Directors," accessed January 7, 2014
- Clover Park School District, "Board Meeting Schedule for 2013-2014 School Year," accessed January 7, 2014
- Clover Park School District, "Board Minutes," accessed January 7, 2014
- Clover Park School District, "Agenda," April 30, 2012
- Clover Park School District, "Financial Services," accessed January 7, 2014
- Clover Park School District, "Purchasing Department," accessed January 7, 2014
- Clover Park School District, "Human Resources," accessed January 7, 2014
- Clover Park School District, "Annual School Reports," accessed January 7, 2014
- Clover Park School District, "About Clover Park School District," accessed January 7, 2014