|Office website:||Official Link|
|2012-2013 FY Budget:||$9,234,242|
|Length of term:||Serves at pleasure of state|
|Authority:||Colorado Revised Statutes, Section 24-30-201|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Executive Director of the Colorado Department of Personnel and Administration|
|Assumed office:||May 1, 2013|
|Other Colorado Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Controller • Commissioner of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Exec. Director • Labor Executive Director • Public Utilities Commission|
The current controller is Robert Jaros. He was appointed by Executive Director of the Colorado Department of Personnel on April 17, 2013 and took office on May 1, 2013. As the controller is a permanent employee of the state, he is not subject to periodic reappointment. Previously the Deputy Controller, Jaros was appointed to replace David McDermott, who held the position from April 2008 until May 2013. McDermott resigned in order to assume his new role as Director of the Colorado Financial Reporting System Implementation.
The office of controller is established by state law.
Colorado Revised Statutes, Section 24-30-201
|(1) The powers, duties, and functions concerning accounts and control as set forth in this part 2 shall be the responsibility of the state controller.|
There are no particular qualifications for the office of controller.
The controller is appointed by the executive director of the Colorado Department of Personnel and Administration.
Vacancies are handled in the same manner as normal appointments: the executive director of the personnel department chooses a new officeholder.
The controller's office:
- Manages statewide budgetary controls
- Promulgates State Fiscal Rules
- Issues statewide financial reports
- Generates on-line management reports
- Manages the state's contract process
- Manages payroll and tax accounting
- Manages the state's vendor file tracking
- Monitors the state's fraud reporting hotline and quality assurance
- Prepares all statewide indirect cost allocation reports
- Prepares the State Taxpayer Accountability Report
- Central Accounting Operations
- Central Payroll
- Statewide Contract Approval
- Contract Administration
- Central Accounting Services
- Reporting & Analysis
- Field Accounting Services Team
- Statewide Audit, Compliance Review, and Special Projects
- Recovery Audits
The budget for Controller's Office in the 2012-2013 Fiscal Year was $9,234,242.
In 2010, the controller received compensation in the amount of $126,540.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Colorado Controller has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Colorado + "State Controller"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
633 17th St., Suite 1500
Denver, CO 80202
Phone: (303) 866-6200
Fax: (303) 866-4233
- Colorado Department of Personnel and Administration - Office of the State Controller, "Homepage," accessed August 27, 2013
- Colorado Department of Personnel and Administration, "Jaros named State Controller; McDermott to retire, transtion to COFRS implementation," April 27, 2013
- Colorado Revised Statutes, "Section 24-30-201," accessed August 5, 2011.
- Colorado Office of the State Controller, "Staff Directory," accessed August 5, 2011.
- Colorado Legislature Joint Budget Committee "Appropriations Report: Fiscal Year 2012-2013," accessed May 28, 2013
- The Council on State Governments, "Book of the States -- 2010," accessed August 5, 2011.