Colorado Gay Marriage Amendment (2010)
|Not on Ballot|
| This measure did not or |
will not appear on a ballot
Stu Allen of Lakewood and Hallie Atencio of Denver were the registered proponents of a ballot measure that proposed changing the Colorado Constitution to recognize marriage as a union between two consenting adults.
A "review and comment" session, one of a number of legalities to go through to get a measure on the ballot, took place on February 9, 2009. If the proposed measure had been approved by voters it would have overridden Colorado Marriage, Amendment 43 (2006).
The wording of the potential constitutional amendment as originally submitted said:
Shall there be an amendment to the Colorado Constitution, concerning marriage, specifying that any union between two consenting adults be valid or recognized as a marriage in Colorado?
Path to the ballot
- See also: Colorado signature requirements
In order to qualify the proposed measure for the 2010 ballot a minimum of 76,047 valid signatures were required. The signature filing deadline for the 2010 ballot in Colorado for initiated constitutional amendments was August 2, 2010. However, as of petition deadline day, no signatures were filed.
- Text of measure in review format (PDF)
- Colorado Ballot Proposal 2009-2010 #5; Marriage
- Review and comment memorandum
- World Magazine,"2010 Preview: Ballot initiatives are a way for citizens to settle an issue directly without state legislatures," January 16, 2010
- Rocky Mountain News, "Salesman pushing gay marriage ballot measure", February 9, 2009
- Prior to the enactment of Colorado House Bill 1326 (2009), the signature deadline for initiated statutes and initiated amendments was the same--3 months before the election.
State of Colorado
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Executive Director of Natural Resources | Executive Director of Labor and Employment | Chair of Public Utilities |