|Indiana Secretary of State|
|March 16, 2012-present|
|January 1, 2015|
|Years in position||2|
|Predecessor||Charlie White (R)|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Appointed||March 16, 2012|
|Appointed by||Governor Mitch Daniels|
|Indiana State Senate District 24|
|High school||Danville High School (1967)|
|Birthday||April 20, 1949|
|Place of birth||Indianapolis, Indiana|
|Profession||Owner & Secretary/Treasurer, Lawson & Company; Auctioneers and Real Estate Professionals|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Political career
- 3 Elections and Appointments
- 4 Campaign donors
- 5 Personal
- 6 Contact
- 7 Recent news
- 8 See also
- 9 External links
- 10 References
At the time of her appointment to the state executive office, Lawson was serving as Majority Floor Leader of the Indiana State Senate, representing District 24. During her last legislative session, she was assigned to the Appropriations Elections, Joint Rules, Local Government and Rules and Legislative Procedure committees.
Lawson has been an active member of the Republican party since before becoming a state government official. Her leadership roles have included Precinct Committee Person for the Hendricks County Republican Central Committee and Vice-Chair of the Hendricks County Republican Party.
Her professional background is in real estate and business. She was the co-owner and Secretary/Treasurer for Lawson Brothers Auctioneers.
On April 13, 2012, about one month after she was tapped to serve out the remainder of White's unexpired term, Lawson announced her intention to run for a full term as secretary of state in the 2014. She sought the Republican nomination in the primary on June 3, 2014. The general election took place November 4, 2014.
Lawson attended Darden School of Legislative Leadership. She went on to receive her Diploma from the Association of Indiana Counties in 1995. She then attended the Bowhay Institute for Legislative Leadership Development in 1998.
Lawson was the co-owner and Secretary/Treasurer for Lawson Brothers Auctioneers from 1971 to 1980. She worked in a Real Estate Office as a Closing Agent/Office Manager from 1970 to 1988. She then worked as a Clerk for the Abstract and Title Guaranty Company from 1986 to 1988. She was also Circuit Court Clerk for Hendricks County from 1989 to 1996.
- Danville High School (1967)
- Bowhay Institute of Legislative Leadership Development (BILLD)
- Council of State Government Toll Fellow
- Darden School of Legislative Leadership
Indiana Secretary of State (2012-present)
On March 16, 2012, Governor Daniels appointed Lawson to the post of Indiana Secretary of State. She will serve out former officeholder and convicted felon Charlie White's unexpired term, after which she intends to seek election to a full term in 2014.
Indiana State Senate (1996-2012)
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Lawson served on these committees:
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Lawson served on these committees:
- Appointments and Claims Committee, Indiana State Senate
- Elections Committee, Indiana State Senate
- Joint Rules Committee, Indiana State Senate
- Local Government Committee, Indiana State Senate
- Rules and Legislative Procedure Committee, Indiana State Senate
- Tax and Fiscal Policy Committee, Indiana State Senate
Elections and Appointments
Sen. Lawson was appointed to the office of Secretary of State by Gov. Mitch Daniels on March 16, 2012. Her appointment filled the vacancy left by former secretary Charlie White, who was forced to relinquish his seat after a Hamilton County jury convicted him of six felonies, including voter fraud and perjury.
|Indiana State Senate, District 24 (2008)|
|Connie Lawson (R)||53,188|
Comprehensive donor information for Lawson is available dating back to 1996. Based on available campaign finance records, Lawson raised a total of $577,198 during that time period. This information was last updated on July 10, 2013.
In 2008, Lawson collected $132,062 in donations.
Listed below are those that contributed most to her campaign.
|Robert L. Meeks for State Senate||$10,000|
|Indiana Chamber of Commerce||$6,800|
|Indiana Hospital Association||$5,500|
|Indiana Association of Realtors||$4,000|
|Indiana State Medical Association||$3,500|
|Eli Lilly & Co.||$3,500|
|Indiana Bankers Association||$3,500|
|Build Indiana Council||$3,000|
|Baker & Daniels||$2,800|
|David C. Long for State Senate||$2,500|
|Indiana Cable Telecommunications Association||$2,000|
|National Wine & Spirits Corp||$2,000|
|Indiana Dental Association||$2,000|
|Indiana CPA Society||$1,600|
|Indiana Statewide Association of Rural Electric Cooperatives||$1,500|
|Indiana Academy of Opthalmology||$1,500|
|Pat Miller for State Senator||$1,500|
Lawson and her husband, Jack, have two children, Brandon and Kylie, and seven grandchildren.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Connie + Lawson + Indiana + Secretary + of + State
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Indiana Secretary of State
- Indiana secretary of state election, 2014
- Gov. of Indiana Mitch Daniels
- Former Ind. Secretary of State Charlie White
- Former acting secretary Jerry Bonnet
- Connie Lawson's campaign website
- Official Indiana State Senate website of Connie Lawson
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000, 1998, 1996
- realclearpolitics.com, "GOP Sen Lawson named new Ind. secretary of state," accessed March 16, 2012
- Indiana Secretary of State, " About the secretary," accessed July 31, 2013
- Project Vote Smart, "Secretary Connie Lawson's Biography," accessed July 31, 2013
- Wish TV, "Lawson to run for secretary of state in 2014," April 13, 2012
- Indiana Secretary of State, "2008 Indiana State Senate official election results," accessed March 6, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Career fundraising for Connie Lawson," accessed July 10, 2013
- Lawson Campaign Donors
|Indiana State Senate District 24
| Succeeded by|
Pete Miller (R)
Charlie White (R)
|Indiana Secretary of State
| Succeeded by|
State of Indiana
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of State | State Examiner | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Utility Regulatory Commission |