Council Bluffs Community School District, Iowa
Community School District
|Council Bluffs, Iowa|
|Superintendent:||Dr. Martha Bruckner|
|Number of schools:||17|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||David Coziahr|
About the districtCouncil Bluffs, Iowa, which is also a county seat of Pottawattamie County, Iowa. According to the 2010 US Census, Council Bluffs is home to 62,230 residents.
In terms of graduation rate, average household income and poverty rate, Council Bluffs underperformed in these areas. The graduation rate was 86.7% compared to 90.3% statewide. The average household income was $42,844 compared to $50,451 in the entire state. Council Bluffs had a poverty rate of 16.0%, while the poverty rate for Iowa was 11.9%.
The current superintendent of Council Bluffs Community School District is Dr. Martha Bruckner, who was appointed to her position in July 2007. She has been a teacher, assistant principal, district strategic planning coordinator, high school principal and member of the Board of Education in the Ralston (Nebraska) Public School District and holds experience as a past professor and chairperson of Educational Administration and Supervision at the University of Nebraska at Omaha. Dr. Bruckner earned her Ph.D. in Curriculum, Instruction and Administration from the University of Nebraska at Lincoln.
The District elects a seven-member Board of Education. Members serve in staggered four-year terms without compensation. Members are:
|David Coziahr||Board President||2015|
|J.J. Harvey||Board Vice President||2013|
|Troy Arthur||Board Member||2015|
|Bill Grove||Board Member||2015|
|Joe Hotz||Board Member||2015|
|Glen Mitchell||Board Member||2013|
|Kim Townsend||Board Member||2013|
School board elections
Members of the Council Bluffs Community School Board are elected to four-year terms on a staggered basis. Four seats were up for election in September 2013 including the two-year unexpired term of retiring board member Joe Hotz. Another four seats will be up for election in September 2015.
The table below displays the budget for Council Bluffs Community School District.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Schools in Council Bluffs
Council Bluffs Community School District operates 17 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Council Bluffs Community School District|
|Abraham Lincoln High School|
|Carter Lake Elementary|
|College View Elementary|
|Kanesville Alternative Learning Center|
|Kirn Middle School|
|Lewis & Clark Elementary|
|Thomas Jefferson High School|
|Walnut Grove Elementary|
|Wilson Middle School|
In 2010, the Council Bluffs Education Association was successful in stopping the District from factoring student test scores into teacher evaluations, preventing the District from competing for Federal Race to the Top funding. Negotiations stalled over pay for teachers who volunteer to work extra hours.
|Transparency grading process|
Website reviewed on Feb. 9, 2012.
- Local tax details are available in news updates and budget proposals.
- Current budget summaries are available.
- Board of Education meeting agendas and minutes are posted.
- An administrative directory is available.
- Employee union contracts are posted online.
- Financial audits are available.
- Information on how to file a public records request is provided.
- Academic information is provided by the district.
- Information regarding background checks, teacher certification, ect are found in the Employment Policies.
- Full and archived budget documents are not posted.
- The contact information Public Information Officer (including e-mail) is not provided.
- Quick Facts Accessed September 3, 2013]
- Iowa Secretary of State, “Monthly Voter Registration Totals,” Accessed September 3, 2013
- Meet the Superintendent Accessed September 3, 2013
- Your Board of Education
- Election Information Accessed September 4, 2013
- Council Bluffs Community School District Independent Auditors Report" Accessed September 3, 2013
- "Schools" Accessed September 4, 2013
- "School districts conflicting on reform," TheHawkEye.com, May 12, 2010
- Council Bluffs Community School District, "Budget," Accessed September 6, 2013
- Council Bluffs Community School District, "Agendas," Accessed September 6, 2013
- Council Bluffs Community School District, "Staff Directory," Accessed September 6, 2013
- Council Bluffs Community School District, "Union Contracts," Accessed September 6, 2013
- Council Bluffs Community School District, "Audit Report," Accessed September 6, 2013
- Council Bluffs Community School District, "Public Records Policy," Accessed September 6, 2013
- Council Bluffs Community School District, "2011-2012 Annual Report," Accessed September 6, 2013
- Iowa Department of Education, "Annual Report 2010-2011," Accessed September 6, 2013
- Council Bluffs Community School District, "Employment Policies," Accessed September 6, 2013