Counties in Maine
Types of local government
Local government in Maine consists of:
504 General Purpose units, including:
- 16 Counties
- 22 Cities
- 432 Towns
- 34 Plantations
337 Special Purpose units, including:
Counties may be:
- Home rule charter: of which there are 3 (Cumberland, Arrostook, and Knox County).
- General Law: of which there are 13.
Cities and towns: Cities and towns have home rule authority through the second part of Article VIII of the Maine Constitution.
- All 22 Cities have a charter.
- Towns may adopt a charter to fully exercise home rule powers. 53 have done so.
Initiative process availability
- Towns and plantations that use the town-meeting form of government have a mandated initiative-like process to place articles in the warrant, have proposals considered at the town meeting, and place articles on the next ballot.
- Charter cities have authority to adopt an initiative process for ordinances.
- City and town charters may be amended through a mandated initiative process.
County website evaluations
- See also: Evaluation of Maine county websites
|Androscoggin County, Maine||Auburn, Maine|
|Aroostook County, Maine||Houlton, Maine|
|Cumberland County, Maine||Portland, Maine|
|Franklin County, Maine||Farmington, Maine|
|Hancock County, Maine||Ellsworth, Maine|
|Kennebec County, Maine||Augusta, Maine|
|Knox County, Maine||Rockland, Maine|
|Lincoln County, Maine||Wiscasset, Maine|
|Oxford County, Maine||Paris, Maine|
|Penobscot County, Maine||Bangor, Maine|
|Piscataquis County, Maine||Dover-Foxcroft, Maine|
|Sagadahoc County, Maine||Bath, Maine|
|Somerset County, Maine||Skowhegan, Maine|
|Waldo County, Maine||Belfast, Maine|
|Washington County, Maine||Machias, Maine|
|York County, Maine||Alfred, Maine|
- National Association of Counties Website "County Seats," accessed September 11, 2013
- The U.S. Census Bureau's 2012 study of local governments
- Maine Municipal Association, "Local Government in Maine", published 1979 and updated in 2005
- Herman, Geoffrey, Municipal Charters, A Comparative Analysis of 75 Maine Charters, Maine Townsman, 1992
- Ballotpedia: Types and #'s of local government by state
This article was taken and modified from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, under the GNU license.
State of Maine
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Conservation | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Utilities |