Counties in Maryland
There are 24 counties and county-equivalents in Maryland. Though an independent city rather than a county, the Baltimore is considered the equal of a county for most purposes and is a county-equivalent.
Types of local government
Local government in Maryland consists of 23 counties and 157 incorporated municipalities (cities and towns that have been incorporated with a charter). In addition there are 167 special districts.
Counties may be organized and governed by:
- County commissioners, of which there are 8. They are Calvert, Carroll, Cecil, Frederick, Garrett, St. Mary's, Somerset, and Washington.
- Code home rule, of which there are 6. They are Allegany (1974), Caroline (1984), Charles (2002), Kent (1970), Queen Anne's (1990), and Worcester (1976).
- Charter, of which there are 9. They are Anne Arundel (1964), Baltimore (1956), Dorchester (2002), Harford (1972), Howard (1968), Montgomery (1948), Prince George's (1970), Talbot (1973), and Wicomico (1964).
Cities and towns are treated as a single class by state statutes, with the exception of Baltimore which has laws specific to it. Cities and towns gain their legal status by incorporation through a charter. All local services in unincorporated areas are provided directly by the county.
Initiative process availability
- All 9 charter counties have a mandated initiative process for charter amendments.
- All 157 cities and towns have a mandated initiative process for charter amendments. State laws make no mention of initiative for ordinances, and cities do not appear to have authority to grant this power on their own.
Evaluation of county websites=
- See also: Evaluation of Maryland county websites
- National Association of Counties Website "County Seats," accessed September 11, 2013
- The U.S. Census Bureau's 2012 study of local governments
- Maryland State Archives, Maryland Manual On-Line, Maryland at a Glance, Government
- Maryland Municipal League, Municipal Incorporation
- Ballotpedia: Types and #'s of local government by state
This article was taken and modified from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia under the GNU license.
State of Maryland
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Treasurer | Superintendent of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary of Natural Resources | Secretary of Labor, Licensing and Regulation | Chairman of Public Service Commission |