Counties in Utah
Types of local government
Local government in Utah consists of:
- Counties. Utah is divided into counties. The biggest of which is Salt Lake County with a population of 1,029,655.
- Cities. Any incorporated municipality with population of 1,000 or over is a City. Cities are organized and ranked in classes according to population by State Law.
- Towns. A municipality with a population of under 1,000 is a town.
Municipalities can have one of five different forms of government, including a Charter form of Government. Currently Tooele City is the only city in Utah to adopt the charter form of government.
As of September, 2012 Utah had
- 29 counties
- 245 cities and towns
- In addition, there are 298 special districts and 41 independent school districts.
Initiative process availability
- The initiative and referendum process is mandated and established by state law for all "general law " cities and towns.
- The ability to amend municipal charters is established by state law.
- There is no mention of powers of Initiative and Referendum ordinances in chartered municipalities or counties. There are currently no charter counties in Utah and there is only one charter city. The only charter city is Tooele City and it has Initiative and Referendum powers explicitly in its charter. The procedures and requirements are very similar to those of general law cities.
County website evaluations
- See also: Evaluation of Utah county websites
As of February 2009:
- Eight Utah counties posted their budgets online.
- 24 counties posted information online about county board meetings.
- 25 had information about elected officials.
- 26 had information about the county's administrative officials.
- 17 had information about building permits and zoning.
- Five had audit information.
- One had information about vendor contracts.
- One posted information about the county's associations with government sector lobbying groups.
- Two posted information about how to obtain public records using the Utah Government Records Access and Management Act.
- 14 posted information about local taxes.
List of counties
- Utah Association of Counties official website
- National Association of Counties Website "County Seats," accessed September 18, 2013
- List of Utah counties by population
- Utah League of Cities and Towns, Forms of Municipal Government Document
- Utah Research Document
- The U.S. Census Bureau's 2012 study of local governments
- Utah League of Cities and Towns, City Facts
- Types and Numbers of Local Government Research Document