|Louisiana State Senate, District 16|
|January 11, 2016|
|Years in position||5|
|Per diem||$6,000/year for expenses; $149/day per diem|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 19, 2011|
|First elected||April 4, 2009|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Louisiana State University|
Claitor earned his B.A. in Finance from Louisiana State University and his J.D. from Loyola University. His professional experience includes working as a publisher, Prosecutor for Orleans Parish District Attorney's Office, Legal Counselor, and manager of a family business.
In the 2012-2013 legislative session, Claitor served on the following committees:
In the 2010-2011 legislative session, Claitor served on the following committees:
- Capital Outlay
- Joint Legislative Budget Committee
- Judiciary A
- Natural Resources
- Revenue & Fiscal Affairs
- Senate & Governmental Affairs
In the 2008-2009 legislative session, Claitor served on the following committees:
Claitor ran for election to the U.S. House, representing the 6th Congressional District of Louisiana. Claitor sought the Republican nomination in the primary. The general election took place November 4, 2014.
- See also: Louisiana State Senate elections, 2011
Claitor ran for re-election in 2011. He was unopposed in the October 22 primary. Because Louisiana uses a blanket primary system, a candidate can be declared the overall winner of the seat by garnering 50 percent +1 of the vote in the primary. However, if no candidate reaches this threshold, then a general election would have taken place on November 19, 2011 between the top-two vote getters.
Claitor won election to the Louisiana State Senate District 16 in a special election held April 4, 2009. He defeated Lee Domingue.
|Louisiana State Senate District 16|
|Dan Claitor (R)||11,713|
|Lee Domingue (R)||6,114|
In 2011, Claitor received $144,363 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Louisiana State Senate 2011 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Dan Claitor's campaign in 2011|
|Louisiana Bankers Association||$2,750|
|I S C Constructors LLC||$2,500|
|Entertainment Software Association||$2,500|
|Louisiana Association Of Business & Industry||$2,500|
|Presonus Audio Electronics||$2,500|
|Total Raised in 2011||$144,363|
Claitor and his wife, Sharmaine, have two children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Dan + Claitor + Louisiana + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Dan Claitor's campaign website
- Sen. Claitor's website
- Project Vote Smart legislative profile
- Project Vote Smart biography
- NOLA.com, "Baton Rouge lawmaker Dan Claitor will run in Louisiana's 6th Congressional District," accessed December 9, 2013
- Louisiana Secretary of State "Unofficial Election Results," October 22, 2011
- Louisiana Secretary of State, "April 4, 2009 special election results," accessed August 24, 2011
- Follow the Money - 2011 contributions
|Louisiana State Senate District 16
| Succeeded by|