For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, will be limited. Select races will be covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
|Texas State House, District 2|
|2003 - Present|
|January 13, 2015|
|Years in position||12|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 5, 2002|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Date of birth||November 21, 1943|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Committee assignments
- 3 Issues
- 4 Elections
- 5 Campaign donors
- 6 Recent news
- 7 Scorecards
- 8 Personal
- 9 External links
- 10 References
Flynn has worked in a number of positions, including Consultant/Member Relations for American Bankers Association, Owner/Publisher of Area Dispatch, Senior Management Financial Consultant for BHL and Associates, and President/Chief Executive Officer of the Merchants Financial Corporation.
Flynn previously served as the vice chairman of the House Financial Institutions Committee on the State Affairs Committee. 
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Flynn served on the following committees:
|Texas Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Homeland Security & Public Safety|
|• Investments & Financial Services, Vice-chair|
Flynn served on the following Texas House of Representatives committees:
|Texas Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Defense & Veterans' Affairs|
|• Homeland Security & Public Safety|
|Texas Committee Assignments, 2009|
|• Border & Intergovernmental Affairs, Vice-chair|
|• Pensions, Investments & Financial Services|
In his newsletter, Flynn outlines his campaign themes:
- "It is my pledge and desire to continue to improve Texas and maintain our position as the leader of the nation by promoting sound social and economic policy. I will continue to be guided by the wishes and desires of the residents of House District 2 and the State holding to the conservative principles I believe will best benefit all the citizens of Texas and their families."
- On May 8, the District 2 Republican candidates participated in a debate sponsored by the Hunt County African American Leadership Conference and the Texas A&M University-Commerce Colony of Phi Iota Alpha. Audio of the debate can be found here.
Flynn is one of the members of a bipartisan group organized by the National Conference of Legislatures called the Task Force on Federal Deficit Reduction (TFFDR). Consisting of 23 state lawmakers from 17 states, the group went to Capitol Hill on September 21, 2011 to urge the Congressional Joint Select Committee on Deficit Reduction to cut the nation's debt but not impose severe budget cuts on the states.
TFFDR urged the Committee to consider new revenue as a possibility, instead of just focusing on budget cuts as House Speaker John Boehner has proposed. The group specifically proposed passage of the "Main Street Fairness Act," which would allow states to tax online retailers.
- HB 81 - Relating to the use of public funds to print certain public documents in a language other than English and other bilingual requirements.
- HB 1583 - Relating to the abolishment of the Office of State-Federal Relations as an independent agency and the transfer of the duties and functions of that agency to the office of the governor.
- HB 3199 - Relating to steroid testing of certain public school students.
- HB 3777 - Relating to a perpetual license to carry a concealed handgun.
Flynn ran in the 2012 election for Texas House of Representatives, District 2. Flynn defeated George Alexander in the May 29 primary election and was unchallenged in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Texas House of Representatives District 2 Republican Primary, 2012|
|Dan Flynn Incumbent||59.5%||11,070|
Flynn won election unopposed to the District 2 seat in the November 2 general election.
In the March 2 primary election, Flynn defeated his Republican primary opponent Richard Linkenauger by a margin of 10,841-5,754.
| Texas House of Representatives, District 2 |
2010 General election results
|Dan Flynn (R)||26,604||100%|
On November 4, 2008, Flynn won re-election to the Texas House of Representatives from Texas's 2nd District, defeating Michael French (L). Flynn received 39,258 votes in the election while French received 6,906 votes. Flynn raised $238,037 for his campaign.
|Texas House of Representatives, District 2|
|Dan Flynn (R)||39,258||85.04%|
|Michael French (L)||6,906||14.95%|
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
Flynn raised a total of $336,481 in 2010. Below are Flynn's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2010 election:
|Texas Credit Union League||$26,500|
|Bob & Doylene Perry||$20,000|
|Texas Bankers Association||$8,500|
Below are Flynn's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2008 election:
|Texas Credit Union League||$9,873|
|Texas Bankers Assoc||$7,500|
|Bank of America||$6,000|
|Texas Assoc of Home Builders||$5,044|
|Farmers Insurance Group||$5,000|
Below are Flynn's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2006 election:
|Perry, Bob J.||$8,000|
|Texans for Lawsuit Reform||$7,500|
|Texas Association of Mortgage Brokers||$7,250|
|Texas Credit Union League||$7,000|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Dan + Flynn + Texas+ House
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
Empower Texans Fiscal Responsibility Index
Empower Texans produces the Fiscal Responsibility Index as "a measurement of how lawmakers perform on size and role of government issues." The index uses "exemplar votes on core budget and free enterprise issues that demonstrate legislators' governing philosophy." Legislators are graded along a standard grading scale, receiving grades A through F based on their performance during the legislative session.
Dan Flynn received a grade of A+ on the 2011 Fiscal Responsibility Index.
- 2011 Taxpayer Champion. Flynn was named a "2011 Taxpayer Champion," which is "the top award presented by Texans for Fiscal Responsibility to legislators based on their rating on the most recent Fiscal Responsibility Index."
A graduate of McCallum High School in Austin, he currently works as a businessman and rancher. 
- Texas House member page
- Dan Flynn campaign website
- Texas House of Representatives - Rep. Flynn
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004 ,2002, 1998
- Texas State Directory - Dan Flynn
- Freedom Speaks profile
- Texas Political Almanac HD 2 page
- Texas Tribune profile & bio
- Vote-TX.org profile
- State Surge profile
- Texas Conservative Coalition profile
- Dan Flynn on Facebook
- Dan Flynn on Twitter
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Dan Flynn
- Texas Tribune - Rep. Dan Flynn
- National Conference of State Legislatures, "Task Force on Federal Deficit Reduction," accessed September 26, 2011
- Stateline, "State legislators want revenue on table in debt talks," September 22, 2011
- Texas Legislature - Bills Authored/Joint Authored by Rep. Flynn
- Texas GOP list of candidates for 2012 Elections
- Texas Secretary of State Election History
- Office of the (Texas) Secretary of State, "Race Summary Report," accessed July 12, 2012
- Official Texas Election Results
- Results for March 2, 2010 primary in Texas
- Texas House official election results for 2008
- District 2 Texas House candidate funds, 2008
- Follow the Money - 2010 Campaign contributions
- Follow the Money - 2008 Campaign contributions
- Follow the Money - 2006 Campaign contributions
- Empower Texans, "Fiscal Responsibility Index"
- Empower Texans, "2011 Taxpayer Champions
- Texas Tribune - Rep. Dan Flynn
|Texas House District 2
| Succeeded by|
State of Texas
|State executive offices||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Secretary of State | Attorney General | Comptroller | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of General Land Office | Chairman of Workforce Commission | Chairman of Public Utilities | Chairman of Railroad Commission |
List of Counties |
List of Cities |
Texas school districts A - L |
Texas school districts M - Z |