|Iowa House of Representatives District 12|
|January 10, 2011-Present|
|January 11, 2015|
|Years in position||3|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 4, 2014|
|Member/Chairman/Vice Chair, Crawford County Supervisor,|
|Associate's||Ellsworth Community College|
Muhlbauer's professional experience includes owning and operating a family farm.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Muhlbauer served on the following committees:
|Iowa Committee Assignments, 2012|
|• Administration and Rules|
|• Public Safety|
|• Veterans Affairs|
|• Ways and Means|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Muhlbauer served on the following committees:
|Iowa Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Public Safety|
|• Veterans Affairs|
|• Ways and Means|
Elections for the office of Iowa House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 3, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 14, 2014. Incumbent Dan Muhlbauer was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while Brian Best was unopposed in the Republican primary. Muhlbauer faced Best in the general election. Challenger Best defeated incumbent Muhlbauer in the general election.
|Iowa House of Representatives District 12, General Election, 2014|
|Democratic||Dan Muhlbauer Incumbent||45.4%||5,349|
Muhlbauer ran in the 2012 election for Iowa House of Representatives District 12. Muhlbauer ran unopposed in the Democratic primary on June 5, 2012, and defeated Barney Bornhoft in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Iowa House of Representatives, District 12, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Dan Muhlbauer Incumbent||61.1%||9,189|
|Iowa House of Representatives, District 51 General Election (2010)|
|Dan Muhlbauer (D)||6,410|
|Daniel D. Dirkx (R)||4,510|
Comprehensive donor information for Muhlbauer is available dating back to 2010. Based on available campaign finance records, Muhlbauer raised a total of $142,029 during that time period. This information was last updated on September 19, 2013.
|Dan Muhlbauer's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Iowa State House, District 12||$61,573|
|2010||Iowa State House, District 51||$80,456|
|Grand Total Raised||$142,029|
2012Muhlbauer won re-election to the Iowa House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Muhlbauer raised a total of $61,573.
|Iowa House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Dan Muhlbauer's campaign in 2012|
|Iowa Democratic Party||$5,801|
|Associated General Contractors of Iowa||$3,000|
|Iowa Association of Realtors||$3,000|
|Iowa Corn Growers Association||$2,500|
|Iowa Bankers Association||$2,500|
|Total Raised in 2012||$61,573|
|Source:Follow the Money|
In 2010, Muhlbauer raised $80,456 in contributions.
His three largest contributors were:
|Iowa Democratic Party||$59,645|
|Associated General Contractors Of Iowa||$1,500|
|Partridge, D G||$1,250|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
- Legislators are scored on "their records on constitutional principles and civil liberties."
- Legislators are scored on their votes on "key conservative issues."
- Legislators are scored on their votes with or against SC's official position.
Muhlbauer and his wife, Patti, have three children. He has served on the boards of a number of community organizations, including the Crawford Co. Development Corporation, Youth Emergency Services in Cherokee, Iowa and West Central Community Action in the town of Harlan.
Muhlbauer drew criticism in 2012 for comments he made about a gun ban. Muhlbauer said he supported a ban on semi-automatic weapons, suggesting that a retroactive ban where currently-held guns are seized was possible. Templeton Mayor Ken Behrens (R) said such a proposal showed that Muhlbauer was out of touch with Carroll County, which he represents. Muhlbauer later clarified his comments, saying "Let me be clear, I don't want anyone who legally has a gun to have it taken away. As a gun owner and hunter myself, I respect the Second Amendment and the rights of other gun owners."
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Dan + Muhlbauer + Iowa + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Iowa House of Representatives
- Iowa House Committees
- Iowa House of Representatives District 12
- Iowa State Legislature
- Iowa House of Representatives - Rep. Dan Muhlbauer
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2012, 2010
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official primary election candidate list," accessed March 18, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official primary election results," accessed June 30, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official general election candidate list," accessed July 7, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official general election results," accessed December 1, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official Primary Results," accessed October 1, 2014
- Iowa Department of Elections, "2012 Primary Candidates," accessed May 15, 2012
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official 2010 General election results," accessed October 1, 2014
- Daily Times Herald, "Democrats tab Muhlbauer to run for Iowa House seat," July 20, 2010
- followthemoney.org, "Muhlbauer, Dan," accessed September 19, 2013
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- StateScape, "Session schedules," accessed August 2, 2014
- Daily Times Herald, "Muhlbauer: Ban, seize semi-auto weapons," accessed October 20, 2014
- Daily Times Herald, "Muhlbauer walks back gun comments, says emotion got better of him," accessed October 20, 2014
Linda Upmeyer (R)
|Iowa House of Representatives District 12
| Succeeded by|
|Iowa House District 51
| Succeeded by|
Josh Byrnes (R)
State of Iowa
Des Moines (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of State | Director of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chair of Utilities |
Iowa Supreme Court | Judicial Nominating and Qualifications Commission | Circuit Court of Appeals | District Courts | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |