Difference between revisions of "Dan Rutherford"
|Line 17:||Line 17:|
==Illinois State Senate==
==Illinois State Senate==
Revision as of 15:16, 10 November 2010
|Illinois State Senate District 53|
| Assumed office|
| Current term ends|
Rutherford graduated from Illinois State with his Bachelor's degree in 1978. Also, Rutherford served as a Legislative Assistant for former State Representative Tom Ewing from 1978 to 1980 and was a Business Executive.
Rutherford and comptroller-elect Judy Baar Topinka said they plan to flex their muscle as the state’s fiscal officers, with an aim at Gov. Pat Quinn’s borrowing. Quinn has called borrowing one of his “budget pillars,” yet the state treasurer and comptroller must sign-off on short term borrowing, according to Illinois state law requires.
“I have a number of questions about any type of short term borrowing,” Topinka said. “What will the money be used for, how long will it be out, and is there money for the state to pay it back?”
Topinka said she will not issue blank checks to the governor. Rutherford thinks he has a mandate to be tough and that voters picked Republicans to hold the fiscal offices of the state for a reason.
“[One] thing that I think is going to be impactful is to have people who are willing to articulate what may be a differing opinion on the finances of the state.”
Rutherford said that not all borrowing is bad, but he does worry about Illinois’ mounting debt and the state’s ability to repay what it borrows. 
Illinois State Senate
Rutherford serves on these committees:
- Executive Appointments
- Financial Institutions Ranking Republican Member
- Telecommunications and Technology .
Rutherford won his campaign for state treasurer in the November 2, 2010 election.
|Illinois State Senate, District 53 (2008)|
|Dan Rutherford (R)||90,199|
In 2008, Rutherford collected $770,475 in donations.
Listed below are those that contributed most to his campaign.
|Muneer A. Satter||$50,000|
|James J. Liautaud||$25,000|
|Terence M. Graunke||$25,000|
|CMTE for Legislative Action||$10,000|
|Illinois Bankers Association||$7,500|
|Associated Beer Distributors of Illinois||$6,000|
|HSBC North America||$5,000|
|Alexander D. Stuart||$5,000|
|Robert D. Stuart Jr.||$5,000|
|Deborah M. Olinger||$5,000|
|Citizens for Dale A. Righter||$5,000|
|Illinois Credit Union League||$4,250|
|Richard W. Porter||$4,000|
|Albert C. Hanna||$4,000|
|Illinois Health Care Association||$4,000|
|Illinois Realtors Association||$3,800|
|Illinois Automatic Merchandising Council||$3,625|
Rutherford represents Illinois Senate District 53. District 53 includes the Central Illinois including the City of Pontiac.
Rutherford resides in Pontiac, Illinois.
- Dan Rutherford's campaign website
- Sen. Rutherford's website
- Biography from the Illinois General Assembly
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000, 1998, 1996
- Dan Rutherford on Facebook
- "New Ill. GOP comptroller, treasurer: no blank checks for Dem gov’s borrowing," Illinois Statehouse News, November 10, 2010
- "Illinois General Assembly" List of Illinois Senate Committees, July 28, 2009
- Illinois Senate election results for 2008
- Rutherford Campaign Donors
- "Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Northeast Illinois Legislative District Maps, July 29, 2009
|Illinois Senate District 53
| Succeeded by|