Difference between revisions of "Dane County State Legalization of Marijuana Referendum, Question 2 (April 2014)"
|Line 41:||Line 41:|
Revision as of 11:20, 15 January 2014
|Voting on Marijuana|
|Not on ballot|
If approved, this referendum question would enact a resolution that would call on state legislators to pass a law legalizing marijuana in the state of Wisconsin. The referendum ballot measure was sponsored by county supervisors Leland Pan and Kyle Richmond. It was also endorsed by Nate Petreman, who acts as president of the Madison branch of NORML, the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws. The measure is a non-binding, advisory vote only, which means that no legislation will be directly enacted through the approval of the question.
Richmond noted that 75% of Dane County residents voted in favor of legalizing medical marijuana use in a 2010 advisory question. He concluded, "The momentum is clearly in favor of decriminalization."
Text of measure
The question before voters in April will be:
The bill calling for the referendum vote was sponsored by county supervisors Leland Pan and Kyle Richmond. It was also endorsed by Nate Petreman, who acts as president of the Madison branch of NORML, the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.
Petreman said, "Put the question before the people. I urge our representatives in state government to listen to what the people say."
Gary Storck of "Is My Medicine Legal Yet" said, "There's a tremendous buzz on this around the country. We saw tremendous excitement in Colorado when storefronts opened there January 1. So this is something people are interested in and I think the sooner we can let citizens weigh in, the better."
Path to the ballot
On January 9, 2014, the Dane County Supervisors voted unanimously to put the non-binding referendum question before voters.
- Dane County, Wisconsin ballot measures
- Notable local measures on the ballot
- State wide measures concerning Marijuana
- The Daily Chronicle, "Wisconsin: Marijuana Legalization to Appear on Dane County Ballot," January 13, 2014
- WKOW, "Dane County board approves marijuana question for ballot," January 9, 2014
- CBS 58, "Marijuana legalization to appear on Dane County spring ballot," January 14, 2014
- Madison.com, "Marijuana referendum could be on Dane County ballot", December 5, 2014
- The Examiner, "Dane County votes to put pot legalization advisory referendum on Spring ballots," January 10, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.