Daniel Donovan (New York)
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Richmond County District Attorney|
Donovan received the support of the New York State Conservative Party at their annual state convention on Friday, May 28, 2010. He later gained the endorsement of the New York Republican Party at their state convention on Wednesday, June 2, 2010. However, he lost in the general election on Tuesday, November 2nd, 2010 to Democratic State Senator Eric Schneiderman after receiving slightly under forty-four percent of the vote.
- Graduated from Monsignor Farrell High School (1974)
- Bachelor's degree, St. John's University (1978) in criminal justice
- Juris Doctorate degree, Fordham University School of Law (1988)
Donovan was named as an assistant to Robert M. Morgenthau, District Attorney of New York County, in 1989. He would remain in that position for seven years when he left to become Chief of Staff to Staten Island Borough President Guy V. Molinari. In 2002, Donovan was appointed Deputy Borough President of Staten Island by James Molinaro who succeeded Molinari was Borough President.
WNYMedia published in April 2010 email messages supposedly forwarded by Carl Paladino, the Tea Party-backed gubernatorial candidate, to his friends that contained what some internet news outlets, specifically The Huffington Post, have labeled as racist and sexist material. The graphic material of these emails "contain images of Africa tribesmen dancing entitled "Obama Inaugaration Rehearsal" and an email showing chimpanzees doing an Irish dance entitled "proof the Irish discovered Africa" and another email depicting bestiality." Michael Caputo, Paladino's campaign manager, has challenged the authenticity of these messages, arguing that the site that broke the story has been accused of faking emails before; Paladino himself later admitted that some of the emails were indeed authentic, but denied that he originated any of them. The Buffalo Bean, an political news blog, noted the apparent hypocrisy of WNYMedia, "who defended Sam Hoyt when his intern affair scandal broke and bashed Joe Illuzzi for leaking damaging emails."
Several months later, State Senator Eric Schneiderman, the Democratic nominee in the race for State Attorney General, has attacked Donovan for failing to condemn both the emails and Paladino himself. The Staten Island District Attorney claims that he had not seen the emails and therefore could not comment on something he had not viewed. As far as the Republican gubernatorial candidate himself, he "cited the ethical code of the District Attorneys Association of the State of New York in declining to endorse Carl Paladino, his party’s standard bearer for governor." Donovan accused Schneiderman of "pathetic and frankly vile charges of racism" to smear him in what has become a surprisingly tight race.
- See also: New York Attorney General election, 2010
On November 2, 2010, Eric Schneiderman won election to the office of New York Attorney General. He defeated Dan Donovan (R), Carl Person (L) and Ramon Jimenez (Frdm) in the general election.
|New York Attorney General, 2010|
|Election Results Via: New York Board of Elections|
- 2010 Race for Attorney General - Republican Primary
- Dan Donovan ran unopposed in this contest
- Office of the Richmond County District Attorney website
- Dan Donovan for New York Campaign website
- Dan Donovan's Facebook profile
- Dan Donovan's Twitter account
- Project Vote Smart - Dan Donovan biography
- Yonkers Tribune, "Assemblyman Richard Brodsky Declares His Candidacy for New York Attorney General" 22 May, 2010
- Urban Elephants, "State Conservative Party Meets: Endorse Townsend, DioGuardi, Donovan, Wilson and (Surprise!) Rick Lazio" 31 May, 2010
- Republican Party of New York State, "New York State Republicans Nominate Dan Donovan As Their Candidate for Attorney General" 2 June, 2010
- New York Daily News, "Democrat Eric Schneiderman Topples GOP's Dan Donovan In AG Race" 3 Nov. 2010
- WNYMedia, "NY Gubernatorial Candidate Carl Paladino’s Racist and Sexist Email History" 12 April, 2010
- Buffalo Rising, "Carl Paladino: He Sends Emails" 12 April, 2010
- Capital Tonight, "Men! If You’ve Opened Graphic E-Mail, Paladino Wants Your Vote! (Updated)" 12 April, 2010
- The Buffalo Bean, "FWD: HYPOCRISY, DIRTY POLITICS, & THE CARL PALADINO EMAILS" 13 April, 2010
- Capitol Confidential, "Donovan: Couldn’t denounce email I didn’t see" 24 Sept. 2010
- New York Daily News, "Attorney general wannabe Dan Donovan says he's no racist" 25 Sept. 2010