Daniel K. Biss
|Daniel K. Biss|
|Running for Illinois State Senate District 9|
|Date of primary||March 20, 2012|
|General election||November 6, 2012|
|Illinois House of Representatives District 17|
|January 12, 2011-Present|
|January 12, 2013|
|Years in position||3|
|Per diem||$132/per session day|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 6, 2012|
|Bachelor's||Harvard University, 1998|
|Ph.D.||Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2002|
|Birthday||August 27, 1977|
|Place of birth||Akron, OH|
From 2005 to 2008, Biss was an Assistant Professor of Mathematics and from 2002 to 2005, the L.E. Dickson Instructor of Mathematics at the University of Chicago. He previously made an unsuccessful bid for the 17th District seat in 2008. He volunteered for organizations supporting Senator John Kerry in the 2008 presidential elections and claims to be a "seasoned grassroots organizer." He serves on the Evanston Environment Board, was President of the Democratic Party of Evanston and serves on the board of the Indo-American Democratic Organization and the Chicago branch of Democratic Leadership for the 21st Century.
Biss earned his undergraduate degree from Harvard University and his doctorate from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Biss has been appointed to the following committees:
- Appropriations-Elementary & Secondary Education
- Appropriations-Higher Education
- Consumer Protection
- International Trade & Commerce
- Personnel & Pensions
- Small Business Empowerment & Workforce Development
Biss' campaign website lists the following issues:
- Jobs and the Economy
- Excerpt: "I have a five-point plan for job creation for Illinois that includes investment in small business, technology, and education. My plan focuses on innovation and is rooted in the principles of efficiency, transparency, and sustainability."
- Political Reform
- Excerpt: "While the state faces many problems that demand creative solutions, none is more pressing than political reform that will restore the public confidence in our government."
- Excerpt: "Illinois schools must prepare our children for the future. In a global economy, American competitiveness rests on providing each student with the best possible education. Improving Illinois's schools is my top priority."
- Health Care
- Excerpt: "As your State Representative, I will fight to fix our broken health care system. In particular, I will support efforts to provide health insurance coverage to all Illinoisans."
- Excerpt: "Today, however, we face the largest environmental challenge in history, the threat of global warming. As your State Representative, I will work to ensure that Illinois is a leader in developing the policies and technologies needed to solve global warming and the other environmental challenges of our time."
- Excerpt: "Experience has taught us that the best way to keep abortion safe but rare is to combine pro-choice laws with broad reproductive health education programs."
- Smart Growth
- Excerpt: "I believe that Illinois should invest in the health of existing communities, rather than subsidizing sprawling growth in largely undeveloped exurban areas."
- Civil Rights
- Excerpt: "As your State Representative, I will consistently work to pass laws that support and strengthen these rights and protections."
- See also: Illinois State Senate elections, 2012
Biss ran in the 2012 election for Illinois State Senate District 9. Biss was unopposed in the Democratic primary on March 20, 2012. He defeated Republican Glenn Farkas in the general election on November 6, 2012.
Biss won election in the state's November 2, 2010 general election, defeating Hamilton Chang.
|Illinois House of Representatives, District 17 (2010)|
|Daniel K. Biss (D)||23,134||54.78%|
|Hamilton Chang (R)||19,096||45.22%|
In 2010, Biss raised $764,738 in contributions. 
His four largest contributors were:
|Illinois Democratic Party||$208,446|
|Illinois Education Association||$25,472|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Daniel + Biss + Illinois + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Biss and his wife, Karin Steinbrueck, have two sons.
- Illinois House of Representatives - Daniel Biss
- Biss' campaign website
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Project Vote Smart legislative profile
- Campaign contributions: 2010
- Biss' facebook
- Biss' twitter
- Biss' LinkedIn
|Illinois House of Representatives District 17
| Succeeded by|
State of Illinois
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Auditor General | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor | Chairman of Commerce Commission |