|U.S. House, Illinois, District 3|
|January 3, 2005-Present|
|January 3, 2013|
|Years in position||9|
|Elections and appointments|
|Bachelor's||Northwestern University (1988)|
|Master's||Stanford University (1989)|
|Ph.D.||Duke University (1998)|
|Birthday||July 15, 1966|
|Place of birth||Chicago, Illinois|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Career
- 3 Committee assignments
- 4 Issues
- 5 Elections
- 6 Campaign donors
- 7 Analysis
- 8 Recent news
- 9 Personal
- 10 External links
- 11 References
Lipinski earned a Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering from Northwestern University, a Master's Degree in Engineering-Economic Systems from Stanford University, and a PhD in Political Science from Duke University.
- Prior to 2005:
- Lipinski taught Political Science at the University of Tennessee and at the University of Notre Dame
- 2005-Present: United States House of Representatives, Illinois' 3rd congressional district
U.S. House of Representatives
Lipinski serves on the following committes:
- United States House of Representatives Committee on Science, Space, and Technology
- Subcommittee on Energy and Environment
- Subcommittee on Research and Science Education (Chairman)
- United States House of Representatives Committee on Small Business
- Subcommittee on Regulations, Healthcare, and Trade
- United States House of Representatives Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
- Subcommittee on Aviation
- Subcommittee on Highways and Transit
- Subcommittee on Railroads, Pipelines, & Hazardous Materials
In 2011, the Democratic Party controlled the Illinois redistricting process. After the new maps were completed in June 2011, Republicans filed suit over the legality of the new districts. An additional suit was filed by the League of Women Voters over the fairness of the maps.
In November 2011, memos were released that showed the involvement of Congressional members in the redistricting process. One email written by Eric Lausten (Lipinski's chief of staff) to Tim Mapes -- the top staffer for Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan (D) -- implied the Congressman's input in the ultimate map. "Tim -- Just finished revising the map for Congressman Lipinski's 3rd District. I thinks its moving in right direction...," according to the email. Another email that was released contained a subject heading "Destabilizing Republican Incumbents."
Lipinski was running in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing Illinois' 3rd District. Lipinkski beat out Richard Grabowski in the election. The signature filing deadline was December 27, 2011, with the primary taking place on March 20, 2012.
Lipinski has been endorsed over challenger Farah Baqai.  Lipinksi was the only Illinois Democrat in the House to vote "no" on President Obama's national health care law, saying the program was unsustainable, and wanting strong language against federal funding of abortion. According to a February 23, 2012 article in the Chicago Tribune, "His position was at odds with the White House, but in step with his district."
|U.S. House, Illinois' 3rd Congressional District Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Daniel William Lipinski Incumbent||87.3%||44,532|
|Daniel Lipinski (2012) Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|Pre-Primary||March 10, 2012||$819,881.96||$20,650.00||$(26,331.58)||$814,200.38|
|April Quarterly||April 15, 2012||$814,200.38||$87,388.60||$(64,774.15)||$836,814.83|
|July Quarterly||July 15, 2012||$836,814.83||$99,938.57||$(110,263.76)||$826,489.64|
|October Quarterly||October 14, 2012||$826,489.64||$114,013.30||$(59,122.84)||$881,380.10|
Lipinski won re-election to the U.S. House of Representatives in 2010. During that re-election cycle, Lipinski's campaign committee raised a total of $752,199 and spent $455,329 .
|U.S. House of Representatives, Illinois' 3rd Congressional District, 2010 - Daniel Lipinski Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by General Election Opponent||$28,807|
|Total Spent by General Election Opponent||$39,962|
|Top contributors to Daniel Lipinski's campaign committee|
|Air Line Pilots Assn||$10,000|
|Amalgamated Transit Union||$10,000|
|American Assn for Justice||$10,000|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
|Building Trade Unions||$46,500|
Congressional Staff Salaries
The website Legistorm compiles staff salary information for members of Congress. Lipinksi paid his congressional staff a total of $902,263 in 2011. He ranks 27th on the list of the lowest paid Democratic Representative Staff Salaries and he ranks 146th overall of the lowest paid Representative Staff Salaries in 2011. Overall, Illinois ranks 46th in average salary for representative staff. The average U.S. House of Representatives congressional staff was paid $954,912.20 in fiscal year 2011.
Based on congressional financial disclosure forms and calculations made available by OpenSecrets.org - The Center for Responsive Politics, Lipinski's net worth as of 2010 was estimated between $1,043,059 and $3,047,000. That averages to $2,045,029.50, which is lower than the average net worth of Democratic Representatives in 2010 of $4,465,875.
Percentage voting with party
The website OpenCongress tracks how often members of Congress vote with the majority of the chamber caucus. According to the website, Daniel Lipinski has voted with the Democratic Party 85 of the time, which ranked 169 among the 192 House Democratic members as of November 2011.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Daniel + Lipinski + Illinois + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Social media:
- Political profiles:
- Financial (federal level):
- Interest group ratings:
- Issue positions:
- Public statements:
- Voting record:
- Media appearances:
- Media coverage:
- Chicago Tribune "Contested races for the U.S. House" Accessed March 12, 2012
- ABC News 7 "Election Results Primary 2012" Accessed March 20, 2012
- Gov Track "Lipinski" Accessed May 15, 2012
- Congressman Dan Lipinski "About Me" Accessed November 10, 2011
- Congressman Daniel Lipinski "112th Congressional Assignments" Accessed October 30, 2011
- Ballot Access News, "Illinois Republicans, to Help their Redistricting Lawsuit, Demand to Know Role of National Democratic Party Involvement," September 12, 2011
- ABC 7, "League of Women Voters sues of remap," August 16, 2011
- Chicago Sun Times "Democratic memo reveals plan to "destabilize" Illinois House Republicans ," November 16, 2011
- Politico "2012 Election Map, Illinoise"
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"
- Daniel Lipinski FEC Reports "Summary Reports" Accessed July 7, 2012
- Daniel Lipinski FEC Reports "Pre-Primary" Accessed July 7, 2012
- Daniel Lipinski FEC Reports "April Quarterly" Accessed July 7, 2012
- Daniel Lipinski FEC Reports "July Quarterly" Accessed September 27, 2012
- Daniel Lipinski FEC Reports "October Quarterly" Accessed October 15, 2012
- Open Secrets "Daniel Lipinski 2010 Election Cycle," Accessed October 30, 2011
- LegiStorm "Daniel Lipinski"
- OpenSecrets.org, "Lipinski, (D-Illinois), 2010"
- OpenCongress, "Voting With Party," accessed June 6, 2013
- Congressman Daniel Lipinski "About Me" Accessed October 30, 2011
|U.S. House of Representatives - Illinois District 3
| Succeeded by|