Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Michigan House of Representatives District 46|
|Years of service||1973-1977|
|Profession||High school teacher|
Sargent has been a teacher of economics, civics, and sociology at Oxford High School since 1993. Previously, he was Computer Operations Manager at Ameritech from 1980-88, and a member of the U.S. Navy from 1973-77, ending as a Petty Officer, 2nd Class in Data Processing. He has his Bachelor's in Business Administration (1979) and Teaching Certificate (1990) from the University of Michigan-Flint, an M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instructional Leadership from Oakland University (1999), and another M.Ed. in Quality Schools from Graceland University (2008).
Sargent's website highlights the following campaign themes:
Elementary, Middle, and High School education
- Excerpt:"I recognize the value of mandating a rigorous curriculum. However, we must change the school educational structure to create opportunities for all learners to meet high expectations (NOT ALL PEOPLE LEARN AT THE SAME PACE)."
University level education
- Excerpt:"We must encourage our young citizens to move on to more learning after high school. Not just universities and colleges, but technical programs, apprenticeships, and other learning opportunities."
- Excerpt:"We need to have a taxation system that promotes a vibrant business community but also recognizes that we need a viable consumer community, as well. Businesses must be able to have the money to stay in business, expand, and to hire more employees."
State Government Organization
- Excerpt:"We must continue to look for ways to get the state government to be more efficient with how resources are used. The cost of state government must be lowered in ways other than reducing the salaries and benefits of hard working citizens that choose to work for our government."
- Excerpt:"We must ensure that all local governments have stable sources of revenue. This is especially true for schools but also vitally important for villages and townships in order that basic protective services and maintenance services can be provided for the citizens."
Sargent ran in the 2012 election for Michigan House of Representatives District 46. He defeated David Jay Lillis in the August 7 Democratic primary and was defeated by incumbent Bradford Jacobsen (R) in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Michigan House of Representatives, District 46, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Bradford Jacobsen Incumbent||63.7%||27,764|
|Michigan House of Representatives, District 46 Democratic Primary, 2012|
Sargent and his wife Jean were married for nearly 33 years before the latter died in 2004. They had one daughter and two grandchildren.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Daniel + Sargent + Michigan + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Official campaign website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
State of Michigan
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor General | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture and Rural Development | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor and Economic Growth | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
Michigan Supreme Court | Supreme Court Elections | Court of Appeals | First Circuit Court of Appeals | Second Circuit Court of Appeals | Third Circuit Court of Appeals | Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals | List of Michigan Circuit Courts | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |