Danville Public Schools, Virginia
|Transparency grading process|
- Main article: Evaluation of Virginia school district websites
- Teacher salary scale is available on the division website.
- School board meeting schedule, agendas and minutes are available.
- Administrative and school board contact information is available.
- Academic performance information is available via links to the Virginia Department of Education website. The SOL testing schedule is available on the division website.
- The Danville City Employee Policy Manual includes a Request for Information form, in compliance with the Virginia Freedom of Information Act, in the School-Community Relations Section. Audit information can be found in the Fiscal Management Section.
- Vendor contract information is available on the Virginia state website.
- Budget information is not available on the division website, with the exception of 2009-2010 proposed per-pupil expenditures.
- The website does not include the results of background checks.
- The website does not include the results of audits.
- Teacher contracts are not available on the school website. Teacher salary data is available on the Virginia Department of Education website.
Current School Board Members
|George Wilson, Chairman|
|Dr. Ed Polhamus, Vice Chairman|
|Dr. Malcom Huckabee|
The current division superintendent is Dr. Sue Davis.
The Virginia Public School System is supervised by a Board of Education, comprised of nine members appointed by the Governor and approved by the Virginia General Assembly. Members serve staggered four-year terms.
The Board of Education is responsible for dividing the Commonwealth of Virginia into school divisions and reviewing existing divisions to ensure standards of quality are being met. The Board makes annual reports to the General Assembly regarding public education in the Commonwealth and is further charged with certifying to the school board of each division a list of persons for the office of division superintendent of schools, one of whom the school board ultimately selects to fill the position. The Board also approves all educational materials used in the public schools. Supervision of school divisions is conducted by individual school boards.
Current Board of Education Members
|Eleanor B. Saslaw, President||2nd||January 29, 2012|
|Dr. Ella P. Ward, Vice President||2nd||January 29, 2011|
|Elizabeth D. Beamer||1st||January 29, 2014|
|Dr. Billy K. Cannaday, Jr.||1st||June 30, 2011|
|Isis M. Castro||2nd||January 29, 2012|
|David M. Foster||1st||January 29, 2014|
|David L. Johnson||2nd||June 30, 2011|
|K. Rob Krupicka||1st||January 29, 2013|
|Dr. Virginia L. McLaughlin||1st||January 29, 2013|
Proposed per-pupil expenditures for 2009-2010 totaled $12,277.00. Additional budget information is not available.
The Commonwealth of Virginia assesses schools based on Standards of Learning (SOL) tests and other statewide assessments; schools receive two accountability ratings a year based on student performance on these assessments. SOL tests assess student performance in English, math, science and history. Ratings are also given based on school and school division adherence to the goals of the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), which requires 100 percent proficiency in reading and mathematics by 2014.
School's state accreditation is based on performance in English, history, mathematics and science.
Schools and school divisions, as well as the State, are rated as achieving Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) if they meet or exceed annual benchmarks in reading and mathematics.
The Virginia Department of Education School Division Report Card reports Danville City Public Schools as having a student population of 6,489 and 16 schools in the division.
Danville City Public School Division made AYP for the 2009-2010 school year.
|School||Grade||Enrollment|| Made Adequate Yearly
Progress for 2009?
|Edwin A. Gibson Middle||6 - 8||390||No|
|Forest Hills Elementary||K - 5||234||Yes|
|G.L.H Johnson Elementary||K - 5||506||No|
|Galileo Magnet High||9 - 12||255||Yes|
|George Washington High||9 - 12||1,609||No|
|Glenwood Elementary||K - 5||203||Yes|
|Grove Park Preschool||Pre-K||252||NA|
|Irvin W. Taylor Elementary||Pre-K||320||Yes|
|Langston Focus School||6 - 12||105||Yes|
|O. Trent Bonner Middle||6 - 8||549||No|
|Park Avenue Elementary||K - 5||449||Yes|
|Schoolfield Elementary||K - 5||543||No|
|W. Townes Lea Elementary||K - 5||318||Yes|
|Westwood Middle||6 - 8||370||No|
|Woodbury Hills Elementary||K - 5||276||No|
|Woodrow Wilson Elementary||K - 5||200||Yes|
- Danville City Public Schools Official Website
- Virginia Department of Education official website
- Official Website of the Commonwealth of Virgina
- Virginia Education Association Official Website
- ‘Danville City Public Schools’, DPS Teacher Salary Schedule, June 23, 2010
- ‘Danville City Public Schools’, Board Minutes, June 23, 2010
- ‘Danville City Public Schools’, Contact Us, June 23, 2010
- ‘Danville City Public Schools’, Announcements, June 23, 2010
- ‘Danville City Public Schools’, DPS Employee Policy Manual, June 23, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Virginia State Contracts, June 10, 2010
- ‘Danville City Public Schools’, Per Pupil Expenditures, June 23, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Education Workforce Data & Reports, June 10, 2010
- ‘Danville City Public Schools’, School Board Members, June 23, 2010
- 'Legislative Information System', Constitution of Virginia, June 10, 2010
- 'State Board of Education', Board Members, June 10, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', School Report Card Accountability Guide, June 14, 2010
- ‘Virginia Department of Education’, Danville City Public Schools, June 23, 2010
- 'Virginia Education Association', June 10, 2010
- 'National Education Association', June 10, 2010